Report that should surprise nobody: Derrick Rose is not coming back these playoffs

May 5, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT

Heat Bulls Basketball AP

Did anyone really think Derrick Rose was coming back these playoffs?

It has been pretty obvious for a while he wouldn’t — and at this point in the playoffs, shouldn’t — but the door was always open. So coach Tom Thibodeau and Bulls players are asked about it all the time.

But Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports says Rose has already decided not to return this season, he just won’t say it publicly for some reason.

“Who knows?” Rose told reporters hours on Saturday. “It’s still up in the air.”

Who knows? Derrick Rose knows. His choice has been made to sit out the season and it includes no provisions for turning back, sources with direct knowledge told Yahoo! Sports.

You really think after everything Rose is going to decide to start playing in a round where he would find the physical LeBron James on him in crunch time? As well as other strong defenders such as Norris Cole the rest of the game?

My position on this hasn’t changed: Rose and only Rose should decide when he is ready to come back, and if he’s not he’s not. You don’t know what his knee feels like, what his mind feels like, and for you to sit on your couch (or me on mine) and say he should be out there for our entertainment is wrong. (And basketball is entertainment.) How much the Bulls pay him and all the rest of it doesn’t matter. He gets to make the call. And Chicago, with a 24-year-old league MVP to anchor the franchise for a decade, needs to think long term and not push him.

But, it has been an ongoing mistake since there were 10 games left in the season for him not to say he was done for he season. This is something hanging over the team — or, at least they have to deal with it — when it shouldn’t be there.

You are in or you are out, stop with the fence sitting. Wojnarowski and I are on the same page here.

For now, though, he owes this to everyone else: The truth about a decision that’s been cemented, the truth that this remarkable Bulls run belongs to his teammates without a shadow, without the public specter of a savior who won’t come back in these playoffs.

1. glink123 - May 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Sets the league on fire? After going more than 600 days between games played, he’ll be a shell of his former self.

2. kb2408 - May 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM

“A shell of his former self”? He’s 24 not 34. Get off Rose, he knows his body better than you do. Have you ever watched him play? If you have, there is no way you can question his love for the game or desire to win.

3. yuwannano - May 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Rose choosing not to play is his perrogative. HOWEVER, it does show a lack of “heart” whe it comes to the game. He’s never gonna get that ring if he remains this soft. That being said, it the Bulls DO beat the Heat, Thibs will TRULY be Master of the Universe!

4. robones - May 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Rose is physically healthier than all the other Bull’s players! Are you kidding me? He’s a Biiiitc*&^^%! Everyone else is trying to come back to play except this Diva! “When i stop thinking and just reacting, that’s when I’ll come back” Seriously? This guy ain’t deserving of a “franchise player” tag. He ain’t deserving of putting up the Bulls uniform after a GOAT played through a broker foot to come back in the playoffs and score over 60 points! GTFU you little pu$$y!

5. nodindenver - May 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

What I do admire is the way the rest of the Bulls find a way to get it done; Rose, not so much!

6. iowahbr - May 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

6’2” guards with great stats won’t get you to the NBA finals theses day. You need a whole team including some good bench players. What is really aggravating is his 16 mill salary for doing squat. The Bulls lost Asik because of the salary cap and look at his improvement with the Rockets this year. Despite all the evidence to the contrary the NBA is about “me” more than about winning for the team. Rose can come back whenever he is ready but it’s not the knee right now -it’s his own mind and that might never heal.

• aluren22 - May 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM

How the hell can he know if he’s ready? Doesn’t he have to step into a real game (and not practice) to find out? Not sure why he is so scared, he’s a proven MVP, and no one was expecting him to carry the Bulls to a championship this year anyways… This year should’ve been a practice year for him, instead of wasting early next season.

• danfrommv - May 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I think the Rockets improvement has a lot more to do with James Harden than Asik. Just my opinion, though. I think the Rockets will have proven to have spent too much on Asik by the time his contract is over.

7. lakerluver - May 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If Rose comes back next season, lights it up, wins MVP and leads the Bulls to a championship you same numbskulls that are killing him will be praising him.

8. brentwoodjerry - May 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Trade Proposal-Rose for Chris Paul.

9. sandersmarcus10 - May 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Is there more to his knee than we know, I mean I’m 42 and my acl has recovered faster than a 24 year olds who has WAY BETTER treatment than I do.

10. thetooloftools - May 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Rose has no heart.
    None.
    If he doesn’t step up now, he never will.
    I would trade him in the off season and get what I could for him because after pulling this stunt, he will never be a leader in the Bulls locker room again, if he ever was one. The team is killing it’self and he’s sitting there saying ” I’m not ready, I’ll know when I’m ready”.
    We called that being a punk in my hood.

11. glink123 - May 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Considering the fact that he cheated on his SAT test to get into college, that should tell you all you need to know about Rose’s integrity as a person. He got paid. He got his $300 million dollars. All guaranteed money. He’s done.

12. xjokerz - May 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM