May 5, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
This season when the Bulls played the Heat and Luol Deng was on the court, the Bulls outscored the Heat by 19.5 points per 48 minutes. When he was on the bench, the Heat outscored the Bulls by 1.5 per 48.
You don’t want to read too much into regular season meetings come the playoffs but this much is clear — Deng is key to the Bulls chances in a series where they have no margin for error.
And Deng will be out for Game 1 following complications with his spinal tap, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
Being back in the hospital on Sunday morning does bode well for him playing Monday night.
The Bulls remain incredibly banged up. Kirk Hinrich’s calf is still an issue and if he plays he is not going to be 100 percent (officially his is listed as questionable). Joakim Noah’s plantar fasciitis is only going to get better with extended rest. Derrick Rose is not walking through that door.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 0
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 4
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10