May 5, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
This season when the Bulls played the Heat and Luol Deng was on the court, the Bulls outscored the Heat by 19.5 points per 48 minutes. When he was on the bench, the Heat outscored the Bulls by 1.5 per 48.
You don’t want to read too much into regular season meetings come the playoffs but this much is clear — Deng is key to the Bulls chances in a series where they have no margin for error.
And Deng will be out for Game 1 following complications with his spinal tap, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
Being back in the hospital on Sunday morning does bode well for him playing Monday night.
The Bulls remain incredibly banged up. Kirk Hinrich’s calf is still an issue and if he plays he is not going to be 100 percent (officially his is listed as questionable). Joakim Noah’s plantar fasciitis is only going to get better with extended rest. Derrick Rose is not walking through that door.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32