May 5, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire has been out of the Knicks lineup since undergoing knee surgery in early March.
The timetable for his return was said to be up to eight weeks, and should his rehabilitation continue to progress, we could see him as scheduled, and early as Game 3 of New York’s second round playoff series against the Pacers.
Knicks head coach Mike Woodson said Stoudemire has already been ruled out for the first two games of the series, which begins on Sunday at Madison Square Garden.
From Ian Begley of ESPN New York:
Woodson said Stoudemire will scrimmage with his teammates on Thursday. If his knee responds well, he will scrimmage again on Friday.
“If he feels fine after Friday, then I think we will play him Saturday,” Woodson said.
Some have expressed concern over how Stoudemire would fit into the Knicks’ lineup. New York finished the regular season 17-6 with Stoudemire out and won its first-round series against Boston without him.
At this stage of the playoffs, getting healthy bodies back in your rotation is definitely a positive, and team chemistry is never so fragile that a player like Stoudemire can’t be returned somewhat seamlessly if he’s indeed healthy enough to contribute.
Woodson has already said that he wouldn’t hesitate to play Stoudemire as soon as he’s ready. With that time rapidly approaching, Knicks fans are going to have to trust that Woodson knows best, and that he’ll monitor both Stoudemire and his team’s rotations closely upon reinserting him back into the postseason lineup.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21