PBT’s annual Kentucky Derby picks post

May 4, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Kentucky Derby hopeful Verrazano rounds the track during early morning workouts at Churchill Downs in Louisville Reuters

I love the Kentucky Derby.

I have been lucky enough to attend a few times and it is a slice of Americana — from the frat party on the infield to the celebrities on up in the boxes to drunk guys in seersucker suits, what is not to love? The whole city of Louisville is alive for the weekend. I miss it. With young kids in tow we haven’t been in years, but my wife and I throw a big Derby party every year complete with plenty of ladies in hats, smoked ribs, good beer and mint juleps.

You can watch the race on NBC today or you can live stream it right here on NBCSports.com.

And in a tradition that dates back to my blog before this one, on Derby day I make my picks for the race. So here we go (I am assuming a dry, fast track).

WIN: Verrazano. He’s undefeated — 4-for-4 with those wins by a combined 28 lengths. He’s had great Beyers (not in the Wood, though he still won). Yes, he was unraced as a two year old but in a “what have you done for me lately” world he’s been impressive. Also, in what should be a slow pace (for the Derby) I like stalkers and he is one of those.

PLACE: Itsmyluckyday. He had an eight-week layoff, came out and blew a lead (to Orb) in the Florid Derby, but I think the Derby becomes his second race back bounce where he puts together a good run. We know he can flat out run from past races like the Holy Bull. Also, another stalker who should be just off the pace and able to make a move.

SHOW: Goldencents. Unless some horse just decides to break form and put up blistering early fractions, there’s a good chance the winner of the Santa Anita Derby has the lead as they head for home — and he’s capable of holding off the charge that will come. He’s had good outings every race he’s been in. Plus, I just like trainer Doug O’Neill.

Latest Posts
  1. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

2. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

3. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

4. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

5. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

6. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

7. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

8. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

9. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

10. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

11. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

12. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

13. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

14. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches