PBT’s annual Kentucky Derby picks post

May 4, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Kentucky Derby hopeful Verrazano rounds the track during early morning workouts at Churchill Downs in Louisville Reuters

I love the Kentucky Derby.

I have been lucky enough to attend a few times and it is a slice of Americana — from the frat party on the infield to the celebrities on up in the boxes to drunk guys in seersucker suits, what is not to love? The whole city of Louisville is alive for the weekend. I miss it. With young kids in tow we haven’t been in years, but my wife and I throw a big Derby party every year complete with plenty of ladies in hats, smoked ribs, good beer and mint juleps.

You can watch the race on NBC today or you can live stream it right here on NBCSports.com.

And in a tradition that dates back to my blog before this one, on Derby day I make my picks for the race. So here we go (I am assuming a dry, fast track).

WIN: Verrazano. He’s undefeated — 4-for-4 with those wins by a combined 28 lengths. He’s had great Beyers (not in the Wood, though he still won). Yes, he was unraced as a two year old but in a “what have you done for me lately” world he’s been impressive. Also, in what should be a slow pace (for the Derby) I like stalkers and he is one of those.

PLACE: Itsmyluckyday. He had an eight-week layoff, came out and blew a lead (to Orb) in the Florid Derby, but I think the Derby becomes his second race back bounce where he puts together a good run. We know he can flat out run from past races like the Holy Bull. Also, another stalker who should be just off the pace and able to make a move.

SHOW: Goldencents. Unless some horse just decides to break form and put up blistering early fractions, there’s a good chance the winner of the Santa Anita Derby has the lead as they head for home — and he’s capable of holding off the charge that will come. He’s had good outings every race he’s been in. Plus, I just like trainer Doug O’Neill.

Latest Posts
  1. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

2. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

3. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

4. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

5. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

6. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

7. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

8. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

9. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

10. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

11. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

12. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

13. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches