May 4, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The Rockets showed plenty of signs of being a legitimate playoff team for seasons to come, both with the way they reached the playoffs in James Harden‘s first year in Houston, and with the effort they gave in forcing their first round playoff series with the Thunder to reach six games before ultimately falling short.
Houston has some nice complementary pieces in Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, and even Patrick Beverley. But Harden, coming from a Thunder team that had multiple superstars in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, knows as well as anyone that it will take more firepower for his current team to reach that next level.
That’s probably why he’s willing to be a part of the recruiting process for potential free agents this summer.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
On his way out of the building, furthermore, Harden told ESPN.com that he intends to be an active member of the Rockets’ recruiting efforts this summer.
“Hell, yeah,” Harden said. “There’s a lot of good options out there.”
Asked specifically about the Lakers’ Howard, with the Rockets widely regarded as the team with the best shot of stealing him away from L.A., Harden broke into a smile and added: “Maybe. Possibly.”
This is no surprise, obviously, considering the fact that Harden had said back in December that he’d already begun the recruiting process.
But it has to make the organization happy that they invested in this particular superstar. You may remember John Wall of the Wizards taking the polar opposite of Harden’s position when Washington’s season ended in mid-April.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85