May 3, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
There were guys last summer who played through injuries to be part of the Olympics and it came back to haunt them this season. Nene, for example, played through plantar fasciitis to be part of Brazil’s team in London, but he missed a chunk of the Wizards’ season.
Joakim Noah has been fighting through plantar fasciitis these playoffs, the foot condition that really only gets better with rest.
“My priority will always be the Bulls. And to play in a league like this, I must be 100 percent. I will not play with the French team if I’m not ready. “
Expect Noah to take a summer off. Actually, I expect a lot of NBA players will take Euro 2013 off (and other international events), knowing that in the summer of 2014 the FIBA World Championships loom.
This is the same club vs. country battle that soccer has dealt with for years, it’s going to be a bigger one for basketball in the coming years. Especially as FIBA tries to spread out it’s calendar (and make more money, of course).
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 1
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29