May 3, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
There were guys last summer who played through injuries to be part of the Olympics and it came back to haunt them this season. Nene, for example, played through plantar fasciitis to be part of Brazil’s team in London, but he missed a chunk of the Wizards’ season.
Joakim Noah has been fighting through plantar fasciitis these playoffs, the foot condition that really only gets better with rest.
“My priority will always be the Bulls. And to play in a league like this, I must be 100 percent. I will not play with the French team if I’m not ready. “
Expect Noah to take a summer off. Actually, I expect a lot of NBA players will take Euro 2013 off (and other international events), knowing that in the summer of 2014 the FIBA World Championships loom.
This is the same club vs. country battle that soccer has dealt with for years, it’s going to be a bigger one for basketball in the coming years. Especially as FIBA tries to spread out it’s calendar (and make more money, of course).
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85