May 3, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
If Gregg Popovich were Luol Deng’s coach, he may have written on Thursday night’s lineup card “DNP — Spinal Tap.” And we all would have turned the jokes up to 11.
But Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls play things closer to the vest, so the official word as to why Deng was sent home before Game 6 Thursday was he had flu like symptoms. Nate Robinson played through the flu Thursday — he was throwing up during timeouts. With half the Bulls team playing through injuries Deng didn’t come off well in the exchange.
Deng took to twitter to clear the air Friday — he was not sent home by the team because of a mere flu, it was far more serious (the first tweet used twitter extension service TMI):
On Wed I was taken to the ER and my symptoms indicated I may have meningitis In order to play on Thurs I was required to undergo a spinal tap
Deng says he was back in the ER on Friday, which obviously will make him questionable for Game 7 Saturday, although he wants to play.
Deng has been through this before — he had a fracture in his leg and the team played coy, so fans were all over him for not playing through pain. Deng’s savvy enough to go over the team’s head and directly to the fans with this stuff now.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40