Kevin Durant on Royce White: “Who’s that?”

May 3, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder's Durant sits on the bench during their NBA Western Conference basketball playoff against Houston Rockets in Oklahoma Reuters

Remember after the Rockets took Game 5 from the Thunder — forcing tonight’s Game 6 in Houston — Rockets draft pick Royce White (who has not played with the team all season) took to twitter to taunt Durant, saying “y’all are looking SHAAAKYY BAAAABYY.”

I would say Kevin Durant fired back on Friday, but that wouldn’t get the tone right. Durant was simply dismissive of White.

Here is what Durant said, via Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.

“Who is that?” Durant asked when asked his reaction to White’s comments….

“I haven’t seen him on the bench,” Durant said. “I haven’t seen him on the bench. So, I mean, I’m not worried about guys that’s not even in our series. Ain’t that the guy that’s afraid to fly? Well I wish him the best, man, and if I see him next year I’ll let him know who were are.”

Durant tried to play dumb. He is not dumb. He knows who White is.

Which makes this response all the better, all the funnier. Full video below from CSN Houston.

1. eventhorizon04 - May 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Guys too afraid to fly on an airplane, even when his job that pays him millions of dollars requires it, probably shouldn’t take shots at other people over the internet.

• ryeryebread - May 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I don’t think you understand how mental illness works. It may seem like it isn’t that big of a deal to “suck it up” and ride planes for Royce White, but it’s a much bigger deal for someone suffering from mental illness. I’m all for poking fun at how KD got back at him in this instance, but I don’t think it’s fair to poke fun at Royce White’s mental illness.

2. edwardemanuelson - May 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Absolutely the best response he could’ve given. Kudos, Kevin.

3. jda247 - May 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Ain’t that the guy that’s afraid to fly? I almost spit out my fierce grape gatorade reading that lol

4. mz1394 - May 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Should have said isn’t that the pu$$y that’s afraid to fly

• albertmn - May 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Why did you have to go there? Are you 12? Does your mommy know you are using up your allotted computer time with this jibberish?

5. aboogy123456 - May 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

yawn..boring response by durant. He first goes with the overplayed “who’s that”, then he proceeds to slightly make fun of royce white and showing that he knows exactly who he is. I mean choose how you want to make fun of Royce but at least stick with an angle. He didn’t even go hard after him, why can’t kobe be in the playoffs!?

• albertmn - May 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Why can’t Kobe be in? Because his team stunk.

• bigmeechy74 - May 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

What the heck does Kobe have to do with anything?

6. GT - May 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Much more appropriate use of this technique than….say…JR Smith.

• Mr. Wright 212 - May 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Except Durant immediately showed he knows who White is. JR went right along to the next question.

• GT - May 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM

mhm

7. kb2408 - May 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM

R.W. is a numbskull. He’s barely hanging on to a roster spot and he has the audacity to talk smack??!!

8. xLith - May 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Something tells me Royce did this on purpose and now the Rockets are going to pay for it tonight. I hope that’s not true though. Go ROCKETS!

9. patfic15 - May 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Great answer KD!

10. deavn - May 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Durant is funny man. But humble. He could have bashed him but instead does his talking on the court. He even wished him well with his illness. Stand up guy right there.

11. frankyvito - May 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Yeah he showed he knew who White was. After the reporter explained who he was in depth! Perfect answer.

12. mogogo1 - May 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My new theory is White has given up ever playing in the NBA and is just trying to set the stage where he can file an ADA lawsuit claiming his disability wasn’t accommodated so the Rockets need to pay him millions every year until his presumed Hall of Fame career would have ended. Waves all year with the Rockets, ditched the D-league early, now he’s making crazy tweets. It’s like he wants them to cut him loose.

• badintent - May 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

YOu’re 100 % right. His remakes smell like a lawyer/agent put him up to it for a future lawsuit. If it quakes like a duck…………………………………
      In other news. White claimed a limo company made him nervous when his hooker went down on him in the back seat.Poor baby.Give this guy some Prozac and Gravol for motion sickness.Pathetic

13. southtexan - May 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Time to cut White. This guy s a joke and needs to be given a dose of reality instead of meds.

14. kavika6 - May 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Second no-name this week trying to steal headlines from the playoffs.

15. mcsuave - May 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM

KD should have told him to “take flight before addressing me”

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches