May 2, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Is the Milwaukee Bucks job one that would really draw Stan Van Gundy off his very comfortable couch?
I’m not so sure, but multiple reports have him as the top target of the Bucks.
For example, there is Ken Berger at CBSSports.com (who says Kelvin Sampson and others also will be interviewed).
The Bucks will interview Van Gundy and Sampson, the Rockets’ top assistant, for the job vacated Wednesday when interim coach Jim Boylan was let go, league sources said…. Stan Van Gundy has long been a favorite of Bucks GM John Hammond, who is looking for a defensive-minded coach who will be able to “control the locker room,” one source said.
Both Yahoo Sports and the Orlando Sentinel confirmed that Van Gundy is the top target.
Van Gundy wants to win, is he really going to go to a Bucks team that was below .500, only made the playoffs because other teams below them collapsed worse than they did, and now face a very uncertain future with their roster? Remember that Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, J.J. Redick and Mike Dunleavy are all free agents (Jennings is restricted, so the Bucks can match any offer). This is a roster about to undergo an overhaul.
Van Gundy going to leave the warm weather of Florida for that?
That said, expect Van Gundy to have a conversation with the Bucks.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 23
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 39
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 15
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 34