May 2, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
Is the Milwaukee Bucks job one that would really draw Stan Van Gundy off his very comfortable couch?
I’m not so sure, but multiple reports have him as the top target of the Bucks.
For example, there is Ken Berger at CBSSports.com (who says Kelvin Sampson and others also will be interviewed).
The Bucks will interview Van Gundy and Sampson, the Rockets’ top assistant, for the job vacated Wednesday when interim coach Jim Boylan was let go, league sources said…. Stan Van Gundy has long been a favorite of Bucks GM John Hammond, who is looking for a defensive-minded coach who will be able to “control the locker room,” one source said.
Both Yahoo Sports and the Orlando Sentinel confirmed that Van Gundy is the top target.
Van Gundy wants to win, is he really going to go to a Bucks team that was below .500, only made the playoffs because other teams below them collapsed worse than they did, and now face a very uncertain future with their roster? Remember that Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, J.J. Redick and Mike Dunleavy are all free agents (Jennings is restricted, so the Bucks can match any offer). This is a roster about to undergo an overhaul.
Van Gundy going to leave the warm weather of Florida for that?
That said, expect Van Gundy to have a conversation with the Bucks.
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 1
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 5
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8