May 2, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Is the Milwaukee Bucks job one that would really draw Stan Van Gundy off his very comfortable couch?
I’m not so sure, but multiple reports have him as the top target of the Bucks.
For example, there is Ken Berger at CBSSports.com (who says Kelvin Sampson and others also will be interviewed).
The Bucks will interview Van Gundy and Sampson, the Rockets’ top assistant, for the job vacated Wednesday when interim coach Jim Boylan was let go, league sources said…. Stan Van Gundy has long been a favorite of Bucks GM John Hammond, who is looking for a defensive-minded coach who will be able to “control the locker room,” one source said.
Both Yahoo Sports and the Orlando Sentinel confirmed that Van Gundy is the top target.
Van Gundy wants to win, is he really going to go to a Bucks team that was below .500, only made the playoffs because other teams below them collapsed worse than they did, and now face a very uncertain future with their roster? Remember that Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, J.J. Redick and Mike Dunleavy are all free agents (Jennings is restricted, so the Bucks can match any offer). This is a roster about to undergo an overhaul.
Van Gundy going to leave the warm weather of Florida for that?
That said, expect Van Gundy to have a conversation with the Bucks.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 9
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 16
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18