May 2, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
Is the Milwaukee Bucks job one that would really draw Stan Van Gundy off his very comfortable couch?
I’m not so sure, but multiple reports have him as the top target of the Bucks.
For example, there is Ken Berger at CBSSports.com (who says Kelvin Sampson and others also will be interviewed).
The Bucks will interview Van Gundy and Sampson, the Rockets’ top assistant, for the job vacated Wednesday when interim coach Jim Boylan was let go, league sources said…. Stan Van Gundy has long been a favorite of Bucks GM John Hammond, who is looking for a defensive-minded coach who will be able to “control the locker room,” one source said.
Both Yahoo Sports and the Orlando Sentinel confirmed that Van Gundy is the top target.
Van Gundy wants to win, is he really going to go to a Bucks team that was below .500, only made the playoffs because other teams below them collapsed worse than they did, and now face a very uncertain future with their roster? Remember that Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, J.J. Redick and Mike Dunleavy are all free agents (Jennings is restricted, so the Bucks can match any offer). This is a roster about to undergo an overhaul.
Van Gundy going to leave the warm weather of Florida for that?
That said, expect Van Gundy to have a conversation with the Bucks.
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 6
- Report: Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice 10
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Life is good in the Golden State 8
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 9
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 55