May 2, 2013, 10:14 AM EST
Let’s start by saying you should take this with a grain of salt — it’s Warriors sources talking about what Nuggets players are saying. That has spin written all over it.
But the Nuggets ratcheted up the physical play in Game 5 so you can connect the dots with what Tim Kawakami wrote at the San Jose Mercury News.
And where there are on-court taunts and messages sent, including, according to Warriors sources, Nuggets players repeatedly telling Curry that he was a soft player.
Denver went home down 3-1 and decided to turn what had been a fun 1980s throwback series (all we needed was Don Nelson in a fish tie) into playoff basketball — they decided to get physical.
Which is exactly what they should have done. Probably sooner. Stephen Curry has been fantastic in this series, destroying the Nuggets while seemingly hitting every shot he took inside the half court line. Denver had to start making him uncomfortable and unsettled.
It worked. Curry was 7-of-19 shooting for 15 points.
Would the Nuggets have talked some trash and said Curry was soft during this? Maybe. More than saying it, their play showed that thought he might be and so they went at him harder. Welcome to the playoffs.
Mark Jackson doesn’t have to like it, he can work the refs all he wants through the media, but Denver wasn’t really that physical with Curry. He got bumped and pushed a little, but I didn’t see anything dirty in there. I saw playoff basketball.
I also don’t think Curry is soft. I think he bounces back with a vengeance in Game 6.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5