May 2, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
The Sixers are clearly looking at a host of the top assistants around the league.
Word had already leaked that the Sixers were going to interview Brian Shaw for their vacant coaching job (once the Pacers season ends) but now you can at Golden State’s Mike Malone and Utah’s Jeff Hornacek to the list, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
And Malone may be at the front of that line.
Malone is considered a serious candidate for the Sixers job. The Sixers have been doing a great deal of research on Malone and getting excellent feedback, sources said.
Malone has been a top assistant under Mark Jackson (Golden State), Monty Williams (New Orleans) and Mike Brown (Cleveland). Over the past two years with the Warriors, he’s been the NBA’s top-paid assistant coach.
One other name out there that could be interesting is Lionel Hollins of Memphis, who could be in trouble if the Grizzlies don’t get out of the first round (they lead the Clippers 3-2 with Game 6 Friday night). There are a few teams that would consider Hollins if Memphis goes another direction.
All of the guys being interviewed here will get shots at other jobs, too. They are the hot names on the up-and-coming coaches list.
The Sixers have a coaching vacancy because Doug Collins did his usual “three years, I’m out” thing and agreed to leave the bench after the season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18