May 2, 2013, 1:26 AM EST
The Sixers are clearly looking at a host of the top assistants around the league.
Word had already leaked that the Sixers were going to interview Brian Shaw for their vacant coaching job (once the Pacers season ends) but now you can at Golden State’s Mike Malone and Utah’s Jeff Hornacek to the list, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
And Malone may be at the front of that line.
Malone is considered a serious candidate for the Sixers job. The Sixers have been doing a great deal of research on Malone and getting excellent feedback, sources said.
Malone has been a top assistant under Mark Jackson (Golden State), Monty Williams (New Orleans) and Mike Brown (Cleveland). Over the past two years with the Warriors, he’s been the NBA’s top-paid assistant coach.
One other name out there that could be interesting is Lionel Hollins of Memphis, who could be in trouble if the Grizzlies don’t get out of the first round (they lead the Clippers 3-2 with Game 6 Friday night). There are a few teams that would consider Hollins if Memphis goes another direction.
All of the guys being interviewed here will get shots at other jobs, too. They are the hot names on the up-and-coming coaches list.
The Sixers have a coaching vacancy because Doug Collins did his usual “three years, I’m out” thing and agreed to leave the bench after the season.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)