May 2, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The Knicks actually wore all black to the arena for Game 5 against the Knicks on Wednesday, in preparation for the “funeral” they were hoping to see involving the Boston Celtics.
The stunt obviously backfired, as the Celtics forced a Game 6 by winning on the Knicks’ home floor.
J.R. Smith was as involved in the nonsense as anyone — he can be seen in the video clip above in the all black attire, and remember, he was on record as saying the series would have been over had he not been suspended for Game 4 in Boston.
As you might imagine, Smith was a little more low-key after the loss, one in which he started the game 0-for-10 from the field and finished it shooting 3-for-14 in 36 minutes of action.
“Well, we was going to a funeral, but it looks like we got buried,” Smith said afterward. “Basketball is a very humbling game.”
Smith added, “I’m done with this black stuff.”
New York still has two more chances to win the series, one of which would be at home should the Celtics be able to force a Game 7. The Knicks are the better team, but we’ll see if the life the Celtics have found over these last two games is enough to carry them to an historic series comeback.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50