May 2, 2013, 2:28 PM EST
Is it time to break up the Celtics and rebuild? Or does the way they played the last couple games, and once they get Rajon Rondo back, mean it’s time for one more run at it?
That decision falls to Celtics decision maker Danny Ainge — the Celtics have until June 30 to buy out Paul Pierce’s $15.3 million contract for next season for just $5 million. Do that and Kevin Garnett may retire, or you can trade him for younger assets and start the rebuild with those pieces around Rondo.
“What’s important to understand, yeah, it’s going to be hard for fans and everybody else, but as far as what’s doing what’s best for the Celtics, it’s probably going to be very hard, too,” Ainge told CSNNE.com. “It’s not a no-brainer. It’s not like you get a 21-year-old All-Star player, or you get the number one pick in the draft [if you let Pierce go]. Those decisions would not be hard, but I have a feeling the decision is going to be very hard, yeah….
“I have not even discussed that with anyone within our franchise yet,” Ainge said. “So that’s something for like a few weeks from now to contemplate.”
It would be the end of an era, Pierce is the most iconic Celtics player since the Larry Bird era. It would be an emotional decision. Pierce has said he wants to keep playing would get picked up by another team… but Pierce in another jersey just sounds weird.
Still it may be the right decision (or even one past due). If Boston brings back this group next season, are they going to be better than the Heat, Knicks and Pacers? Are they really contenders? I think you’re just delaying the rebuild and it’s better to start now. But my emotions are not tied up in this; the history of Pierce and KG in green certainly has to change the equation in Boston.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9