May 1, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
It was a rough night in Denver for the Warriors’ Stephen Curry.
Not only did the Nuggets avoid elimination with a Game 5 victory, they were able to shut down Curry in the process.
Denver held Curry to a series low 15 points on 7-of-19 shooting, including just 1-of-7 from three-point distance. This came after Curry had averaged 30 points per game over his last three, all of which were wins for the Warriors.
It wasn’t just the low scoring output that was troubling for Curry. The Nuggets were extra-physical with him throughout the night, especially early in the game when setting screens on him and making sure contact was made anytime he went cutting through the lane.
Kenneth Faried was the one who appeared to be dishing out most of the physical play on Curry, and Warriors head coach Mark Jackson accused the Nuggets of playing dirty against his superstar afterward.
All of this is to say that Curry had plenty of reasons to be frustrated. And he took out some of that frustration on a fan as he exited the floor of the Pepsi Center immediately following his team’s loss.
We have no idea how inflammatory the fan’s comments were, but clearly whatever was said was enough for Curry to feel the need to respond. The commentary from the TNT crew in the video clip above makes the whole thing seem hilarious, but anytime a player confronts a fan in that way, there’s a possibility for things to go in a very bad direction.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18