Stephen Curry says Mark Jackson just protecting his players

May 1, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Mark Jackson, Stephen Curry AP

Mark Jackson had to know he sounded like a hypocrite saying the Nuggets were being too physical with his players. Jackson was the guy who sent out his players to commit hard fouls on Rockets players when Houston threatened to set a record for most three pointers in one game. This is Mark Jackson, former 1990s Knicks point guard. He knows what playoff basketball is like.

But Jackson is a coach now and his role is to protect his star players and work the referees a little, so he came out after the Warriors loss to the Nuggets in Game 5 Tuesday and said Denver had sent “hit men” after his players.

Stephen Curry appreciated his coach having his back.

Curry went on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio channel with host Adam Schein and appreciated what his coach did.

“For sure, you appreciate your coach sticking up for you and his opinion. You don’t know what his motives were, if he [was] just trying to get his voice out there in the series as to what should be looked at. We have a big game coming up, Game 6 at home, to try to close this thing out. He spoke about it, I’m sure it’s going to be talked about, but in our locker room we’re not worried about nitpicking those plays that he was talking about. We’re just going to make the adjustments that we need to make on the defensive end and get back to winning ways hopefully in Game 6.

So Curry, you think some of those players were dirty?

“Um, there was a couple of plays in the first quarter where you started initiating a play and you’re not involved with it and kinda elbows come out of nowhere and he’s chucking cuts and things like that, which, that’s playoff basketball. I understand there are going to be some hard fouls and I’m not going to complain or whine about that at all. But there are situations where you notice they are going out of their way to make a point. And we had a couple of flagrant fouls as well. Andrew Bogut hit Faried one time. Draymond Green hit him one time on a rebound. So I’m not going to say they’re the only team making plays. You just gotta go with the flow of the game. Whatever happens, it’s not going to faze me on the court.”

The physical play did faze Golden State for much of Game 5. Golden State needs to get past this and close it out at home on Thursday night, because what they don’t want to do is have to go back to Denver to win a Game 7. The Nuggets aren’t going to lose two in this series at home.

1. thestudiokida - May 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I think Mark Jackson is actually playing a little psychology in the series. First, he accuses Denver of dirty plays even though the Warriors committed the more obvious dirty fouls. That should alert the refs for anything Denver might do in Game 6. Then, he says he has inside information that not all the players were on board with the plan. I seriously doubt he has said information… but couldn’t a comment like that create some animosity in the locker room? At least that’s what he’s hoping. I like it.

2. polegojim - May 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Whiner… gimme a break. He must have been checking the time when Bogut planted Faried.

I love physical basketball… in Detroit, we played, coached, and taught ‘Powerball’!

Play and coach the game like a man Mark.

Nuggets need to change NOTHING from last night.

3. 13arod - May 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

there was a couple of technical foals that denver had on golden state

4. 4thquartermagic - May 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

“March 7th in and interview with ESPN’s Chris Mullin, if he was guarding Steph Curry he would “I’m old school … I would put him on his butt a couple times…”

Jackson is a clown.

5. losanginsight - May 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Cry me a river light bulb ankles.

6. kavika6 - May 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Talk about dirty players. I would love to see one of the Nuggets punch Bogut in the chin.

7. supremekingz - May 2, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Are they going to ball, or scrap?

8. deavn - May 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I have a pet dragon named Clancy.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches