Rockets-Thunder Game 5 preview: Patrick Beverly returns to Oklahoma City after Russell Westbrook injury
May 1, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
After trying for a steal on the play that injured Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverly has become disliked – in some cases, to extreme levels – among Thunder fans.
Arena security stationed a police officer behind bench already as Pat Beverley stretches. Building not open yet.
Pretty hefty police presence around the Rockets’ end of the court. Fake tough guys will have to stick to Twitter
In addition of officers on court for Beverley’s early warmups before doors opened, there were two on the bus. They’re not kidding around.
It’s in that backdrop Beverly becomes one of the most pivotal players in this series. Jeremy Lin is a game-time decision, but the Rockets have been much better with Beverly than Lin on both ends of the court in the playoffs.
- Offensive rating with Lin: 88.0
- Offensive rating with Beverly: 105.3
- Defensive rating with Lin: 116.6
- Defensive rating with Beverly: 107.2
Beverly has shot 6-of-16 on 3-pointers against Oklahoma City, making him one of several Rockets to step up from beyond the arc. Francisco Garcia (9-of-19), Chandler Parsons (10-of-27) and Carlos Delfino (11-of-30) are also making their 3-pointers.
In theory, those shots should help space the floor for James Harden, though he’ll have to perform better than he did in Game 4 (4-for-12, 10 turnovers).
But a lot of that positive action is sparked by Beverly, who will certainly be feeling the heat tonight.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 8
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7