Rockets-Thunder Game 5 preview: Patrick Beverly returns to Oklahoma City after Russell Westbrook injury
May 1, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
After trying for a steal on the play that injured Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverly has become disliked – in some cases, to extreme levels – among Thunder fans.
Arena security stationed a police officer behind bench already as Pat Beverley stretches. Building not open yet.
Pretty hefty police presence around the Rockets’ end of the court. Fake tough guys will have to stick to Twitter
In addition of officers on court for Beverley’s early warmups before doors opened, there were two on the bus. They’re not kidding around.
It’s in that backdrop Beverly becomes one of the most pivotal players in this series. Jeremy Lin is a game-time decision, but the Rockets have been much better with Beverly than Lin on both ends of the court in the playoffs.
- Offensive rating with Lin: 88.0
- Offensive rating with Beverly: 105.3
- Defensive rating with Lin: 116.6
- Defensive rating with Beverly: 107.2
Beverly has shot 6-of-16 on 3-pointers against Oklahoma City, making him one of several Rockets to step up from beyond the arc. Francisco Garcia (9-of-19), Chandler Parsons (10-of-27) and Carlos Delfino (11-of-30) are also making their 3-pointers.
In theory, those shots should help space the floor for James Harden, though he’ll have to perform better than he did in Game 4 (4-for-12, 10 turnovers).
But a lot of that positive action is sparked by Beverly, who will certainly be feeling the heat tonight.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 20
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9