May 1, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
Jim Boylan was given an impossible task — take over a mismatched Milwaukee Bucks roster in the middle of the season when Scott Skiles walked away (after five years) and try to make something of it. Oh, and here is J.J. Redick, can you make him mesh with Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis. Thanks. Have fun.
Boylan went 22-28 with the Bucks, who slumped at the end of the season then were swept out of the playoffs by the Miami Heat.
Wednesday the Bucks swept Boylan out of the coach’s seat, letting him go, something first reported by Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on twitter and later confirmed by the organization. Boylan was a Wisconsin guy (he was the point guard on Marquette’s 1977 national championship team) but this wasn’t a great fit.
“At this time we feel it’s in the best interest of the organization to seek a new coach to lead our team,” Bucks GM John Hammond said in a released statement. “We appreciate Jim’s efforts not only in his time as head coach, but in his entire tenure as a coach in Milwaukee. On behalf of the Bucks organization, I thank Jim for his five years here and his many contributions on and off the court. We wish Jim and his wife, Jane, the best.”
It’s a little early to have a frontrunner for his job, but there has been a buzz around the league for a while that the Bucks have interest in Rockets assistant coach Kelvin Sampson (who also will interview with the Bobcats). Stan Van Gundy is a target as well, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (although that seems less a fit).
Firing Boylan was expected, it’s one of a lot of steps the Bucks need to make this summer to revamp the team. That should start with trying to decide what kind of team they want to build and not just assembling pieces. Next would come dealing with the backcourt — Redick and Ellis are unrestricted free agents, Jennings is a restricted free agent (meaning the Bucks can match any offer Jennings gets).
But in the midst of that, the Bucks need to find a new coach, also.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 18
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 34
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (63)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)