Dwight Howard plans to “clear my head” before deciding future

May 1, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Dwight Howard is a free agent and he has waited for this moment. He played out his contract, he has earned the right to choose where he wants to work.

He’s not going to rush this.

While the conventional wisdom is he will re-sign with the Lakers, he is going to look around. Eventually. But he said in his exit interview Tuesday he wouldn’t talk about it other than to say he’s not going to rush the process.

“I’m going to take my time, get away from the game, my phones and everything and just clear my head,” Howard said. “I’ll do what’s going to be best for myself, what’s going to make me happy. I can’t control who likes me, who dislikes me, but I have the right to be happy.”

Don’t we all?

Howard can say that because he’s not officially a free agent until July 1. At that point look for him to talk to Houston, Dallas and maybe Cleveland or other squads as well as the Lakers.

Both Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash said they want Howard to return. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak tried to send a message to the notoriously indecisive Howard — we want you here, but if you want us to build a good team around you then don’t drag this process out.

“I think he has complete faith in the organization. I think he does like living here. I think it’s all good, which leads me to why I’m optimistic,” Kupchak said…

“I think he understands that the sooner he makes a decision, the better it is for everybody. I don’t know if that means a week, a month or seven weeks.”

If there was one other thing to take away from Kupchack’s press conference, it’s that Mike D’Antoni will be back as coach next season. You’d like to think that would get Lakers fans to drop the Phil Jackson fantasy — he’s not coming — but that dream dies hard.

Latest Posts
  1. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

2. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

3. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

4. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

5. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

6. Nets say Thaddeus Young has a left knee strain, out Friday vs. Cavaliers

Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

7. Timofey Mozgov’s local commercial is an absolute gem (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers

Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches