Dwight Howard plans to “clear my head” before deciding future

May 1, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Dwight Howard is a free agent and he has waited for this moment. He played out his contract, he has earned the right to choose where he wants to work.

He’s not going to rush this.

While the conventional wisdom is he will re-sign with the Lakers, he is going to look around. Eventually. But he said in his exit interview Tuesday he wouldn’t talk about it other than to say he’s not going to rush the process.

“I’m going to take my time, get away from the game, my phones and everything and just clear my head,” Howard said. “I’ll do what’s going to be best for myself, what’s going to make me happy. I can’t control who likes me, who dislikes me, but I have the right to be happy.”

Don’t we all?

Howard can say that because he’s not officially a free agent until July 1. At that point look for him to talk to Houston, Dallas and maybe Cleveland or other squads as well as the Lakers.

Both Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash said they want Howard to return. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak tried to send a message to the notoriously indecisive Howard — we want you here, but if you want us to build a good team around you then don’t drag this process out.

“I think he has complete faith in the organization. I think he does like living here. I think it’s all good, which leads me to why I’m optimistic,” Kupchak said…

“I think he understands that the sooner he makes a decision, the better it is for everybody. I don’t know if that means a week, a month or seven weeks.”

If there was one other thing to take away from Kupchack’s press conference, it’s that Mike D’Antoni will be back as coach next season. You’d like to think that would get Lakers fans to drop the Phil Jackson fantasy — he’s not coming — but that dream dies hard.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 6: Return of injured players

Sep 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

NBA All-Star Practice NBA All-Star Practice

Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose among the more intriguing names on the list.

2. Mavericks unveil fan-designed new 2015-16 “skyline” alternate jerseys

Sep 23, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

dallas Mavericks skyline alternate jersey

It’s a play off what Seattle and Denver have done before.

3. Celtics owner, GM both say they want to keep Rajon Rondo in green

Sep 23, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Vs. Boston Celtics At TD Garden Getty Images

Danny Ainge has done a good job with keeping his options open.

4. Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment

Sep 23, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Adam Silver also says league isn’t looking into owners’ pasts

5. Wizards sign Rasual Butler, Damion James

Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

James reportedly received guaranteed contract

6. Early new drawings for proposed Warriors arena… that does look like a toilet

Sep 23, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Warriors-Mission-Bay-Arena-Concept-Design-NW-View-thumb-896x491-860535

Not a lot of people will see the building from above, and it’s early in the process, but…. that’s not pretty.

7. Kyle Lowry: Raptors wanted me just as Steve Nash’s backup

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers

The many times Toronto and Kyle Lowry could have blown it with each other

8. Dirk Nowitzki developed quicker shot release. That’s just not fair.

Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

He’s already the best midrange shooter in the game.

9. Dwyane Wade shows off blood-spattered Dexter shoes (photos)

Sep 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade Dwyane Wade

Heat guard getting style from fictional Miami serial killer

10. Mavericks sign Doron Lamb

Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jimmer Fredette, Doron Lamb Jimmer Fredette, Doron Lamb

Lamb, after playing for Bucks and Magic, likely to fall out of NBA following training camp

11. Report: Nets signing Willie Reed

Sep 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles D-Fenders v Springfield Armor Los Angeles D-Fenders v Springfield Armor

Reed, previously a member of Kings and Grizzlies, in line to compete for roster spot

12. Andrew Wiggins not bad with first pitch before Twins game (VIDEO)

Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

He’s better than Charles Barkley already at this.

13. NBA’s rookie transition program presents information in a compelling way in order to promote real discussion

Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Initially uncomfortable information is presented in order to create a dialogue on real-life scenarios, which helps prepare rookies for their initial steps into the NBA life.

14. NBA tips-off season-long All-Star charitable outreach program in New York area

Sep 23, 2014, 2:25 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Monday tipped-off a series of NBA Cares and charitable events around the New York area tied to the All-Star Game.

15. Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Wyc Grousbeck also says he wants Boston to keep point guard long term

16. Hornets, in search of big man, sign Dallas Lauderdale and Brian Qvale

Sep 22, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

Texas-San Antonio v Ohio State Getty Images

Charlotte also adds Justin Cobbs, who went undrafted out of Cal

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches