May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Kelvin Sampson turned a lot of heads in NBA front offices with how well he handled the Houston Rockets when head coach Kevin McHale had to step away from the team because of the tragic death of his daughter. The Rockets played well for Sampson and at the time it was though this was going to get him some interviews this summer (not that Sampson or anyone was doing it for that reason).
One of those is going to be the Bobcats, reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle.
Charlotte Bobcats have asked for permission to interview Rockets assistant Kelvin Sampson, source said. Sampson, an NC native, very ready.—
Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) April 30, 2013
The Bobcats are also set to interview Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.
Talk to people who know these coaches and it’s clear Sampson is thought far more ready for the big chair, this would be a better fit for the Bobcats. The problem is that Sampson will have options, the Bucks are reportedly interested if, and more likely when, they let interim coach Jim Boylan go.
But the chance to coach close to where he crew up could be the tipping point.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 1
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 1
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 9
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13