May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Kelvin Sampson turned a lot of heads in NBA front offices with how well he handled the Houston Rockets when head coach Kevin McHale had to step away from the team because of the tragic death of his daughter. The Rockets played well for Sampson and at the time it was though this was going to get him some interviews this summer (not that Sampson or anyone was doing it for that reason).
One of those is going to be the Bobcats, reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle.
The Bobcats are also set to interview Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.
Talk to people who know these coaches and it’s clear Sampson is thought far more ready for the big chair, this would be a better fit for the Bobcats. The problem is that Sampson will have options, the Bucks are reportedly interested if, and more likely when, they let interim coach Jim Boylan go.
But the chance to coach close to where he crew up could be the tipping point.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9