May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Kelvin Sampson turned a lot of heads in NBA front offices with how well he handled the Houston Rockets when head coach Kevin McHale had to step away from the team because of the tragic death of his daughter. The Rockets played well for Sampson and at the time it was though this was going to get him some interviews this summer (not that Sampson or anyone was doing it for that reason).
One of those is going to be the Bobcats, reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle.
The Bobcats are also set to interview Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.
Talk to people who know these coaches and it’s clear Sampson is thought far more ready for the big chair, this would be a better fit for the Bobcats. The problem is that Sampson will have options, the Bucks are reportedly interested if, and more likely when, they let interim coach Jim Boylan go.
But the chance to coach close to where he crew up could be the tipping point.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 4
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11