May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Kelvin Sampson turned a lot of heads in NBA front offices with how well he handled the Houston Rockets when head coach Kevin McHale had to step away from the team because of the tragic death of his daughter. The Rockets played well for Sampson and at the time it was though this was going to get him some interviews this summer (not that Sampson or anyone was doing it for that reason).
One of those is going to be the Bobcats, reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle.
The Bobcats are also set to interview Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.
Talk to people who know these coaches and it’s clear Sampson is thought far more ready for the big chair, this would be a better fit for the Bobcats. The problem is that Sampson will have options, the Bucks are reportedly interested if, and more likely when, they let interim coach Jim Boylan go.
But the chance to coach close to where he crew up could be the tipping point.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54