May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Kelvin Sampson turned a lot of heads in NBA front offices with how well he handled the Houston Rockets when head coach Kevin McHale had to step away from the team because of the tragic death of his daughter. The Rockets played well for Sampson and at the time it was though this was going to get him some interviews this summer (not that Sampson or anyone was doing it for that reason).
One of those is going to be the Bobcats, reports Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle.
The Bobcats are also set to interview Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts.
Talk to people who know these coaches and it’s clear Sampson is thought far more ready for the big chair, this would be a better fit for the Bobcats. The problem is that Sampson will have options, the Bucks are reportedly interested if, and more likely when, they let interim coach Jim Boylan go.
But the chance to coach close to where he crew up could be the tipping point.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 13
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9