May 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
From the already massive “Andrew Bynum doesn’t care what you think” file…
If you’re wondering how Andrew Bynum’s knees are doing about six weeks after the latest of his surgeries, they are apparently good enough to do some flamenco dancing in Spain, where he is on vacation. The video is above off the Spanish café’s Facebook page (via Zach Harper at Eye on Basketball, who for the record is a better dancer than Drew).
Sixers fans are just shaking their heads.
First: nice outfit, Bynum. Fonzi leather jacket, white T-shirt and jeans. You are a rebel without a cause.
Bynum heads to Europe every summer to get away, and that is his prerogative. Life is there to enjoy and we all should travel more. But Bynum has to know how this is going to play back home — whenever the free agent to be does sign with a team this summer we are all going to link back to this dancing video and talk about how he seems to care more about having fun than playing basketball.
The perception is he doesn’t care about the game, and some teammates have said that about him behind his back.
I’ll be honest — when it first became official that Andrew Bynum would miss the entire NBA season with bad knees, I said somebody would still give him max money next year, just for fewer years. But I was wrong. Teams are too leery of him. He’s still going to get a shockingly large short-term deal from someone, but not max.
And the fans of whatever team does sign him should be warned that the movement you see here might not be what you get on the court.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14