Apr 30, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Stephen Curry loves the three ball.
• Jason Segel — you know him from “How I Met Your Mother” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and, frankly his best work, “The Muppets” movie — was a high school teammate of Jason Collins. Segel was a big off the bench for Harvard-Westlake… although when you’re an average high school big man off the bench behind two future NBA seven-footers (Jason and his brother Jarron) you don’t get a lot of quality minutes. Still, impress your girlfriend with that trivia later.
• Here’s a report that Jeff Weltman, an assistant GM in Milwaukee, is the early favorite to become the Suns new GM.
• For the second straight year, Jason Kidd won the NBA’s Sportsman of the Year award.
• Former NBA All-Star Chris Gatling (yes he was in 1997) is facing criminal charges for being a squatter in an Arizona home.
• We told you before the Toronto Raptors were considering making a run at Phil Jackson to take over as president of their organization. ESPN says they are going to make their pitch this week. Jackson will listen and think it over. But accepting it is another matter.
• Pau Gasol says he would prefer to be back with the Lakers next season. Kobe Bryant says he wants Gasol back. Yet Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak was clear on Tuesday that he’s going to look at trades.
• A ranking of the NBA arenas… with San Antonio’s AT&T Center on top of the list.
• J.R. Smith takes some just terrible shots, but he makes them more often than other NBA players.
• The U.S. Attorney’s office is going after a company that allegedly defrauded the NBA Players Union of $3 million.
• A great look at Andrew Bogut, Ty Lawson and four guys quietly impacting these playoffs by our man Rob Mahoney at SI.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:48 AM EDT
LA has 89 points and 26 rebounds in two games.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Trail Blazers take 2-0 series lead with second win in Houston
Apr 23, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The Spurs turned the ball over on 26.2 percent of their possessions. It’s very unSpurs like.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
This should have gotten McRoberts ejected.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Bobcats keep battling, but Heat have too much talent.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He has Durant, LeBron and Griffin on his MIP list… but it makes a good MVP ballot.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Big-time blocked shot by Henderson.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The documentary will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival this weekend.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
Utah needs a coach good at player development, Synder could be a fit.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Wizards insider talks about the best story line in the playoffs so far.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
It’s a real possibility, but only if Anthony believes a plan to win is in place.
Mavericks’ Rick Carlisle on Spurs’ Gregg Popovich: ‘Why don’t we just give him Coach of the Century?’
Apr 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
He’s not wrong.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
McHale jokes with a reporter by making a painfully obvious observation.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
Harper worked as Pistons assistant for two years
Apr 23, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
That will end the rumors, right?
Apr 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Timberwolves president coached Minnesota, Detroit and Washington before taking current job
Apr 23, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
It would be a mistake, but the Pacers’ slide has everyone on edge in Indy.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Lance Stephenson was second, Anthony Davis third, but they were well back of Dragic.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
7-foot-1, athletic with 3-point range — what’s not to like? A decent amount
Apr 23, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Frank Vogel resisted the urge to do anything dramatic and trusted his team to make little changes. It worked.
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge ruining Dwight Howard’s chance at redemption 1
- Spurs give the ball away first, then Game 2 to Dallas 8
- Bobcats fight to the end, but Heat come away with 2-0 series lead 4
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 12