Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
This isn’t a surprise, we told you not long after the Pistons jettisoned Lawrence Frank that they were interested in Nate McMillan, but now thing are getting more serious.
McMillan and the Pistons will sit down Tuesday to start the formal interview process, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Later the Pistons are expected to interview current — but everybody knows he will be canned in the next week — Suns coach Lindsay Hunter. Stein says Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets assistant coach who took over the big chair while Kevin McHale, also is interested in the Pistons job.
Still McMillan is reportedly the favorite. He has had successful stints as the coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers, but has taken a couple years off since the Blazers let him go.
The Pistons job is attractive because they have some key pieces in place — Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe should make a good front line for years to come. There is Brandon Knight in the backcourt as well as a lot of financial maneuverability.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19