Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
This isn’t a surprise, we told you not long after the Pistons jettisoned Lawrence Frank that they were interested in Nate McMillan, but now thing are getting more serious.
McMillan and the Pistons will sit down Tuesday to start the formal interview process, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Later the Pistons are expected to interview current — but everybody knows he will be canned in the next week — Suns coach Lindsay Hunter. Stein says Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets assistant coach who took over the big chair while Kevin McHale, also is interested in the Pistons job.
Still McMillan is reportedly the favorite. He has had successful stints as the coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers, but has taken a couple years off since the Blazers let him go.
The Pistons job is attractive because they have some key pieces in place — Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe should make a good front line for years to come. There is Brandon Knight in the backcourt as well as a lot of financial maneuverability.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)