Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
This isn’t a surprise, we told you not long after the Pistons jettisoned Lawrence Frank that they were interested in Nate McMillan, but now thing are getting more serious.
McMillan and the Pistons will sit down Tuesday to start the formal interview process, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Later the Pistons are expected to interview current — but everybody knows he will be canned in the next week — Suns coach Lindsay Hunter. Stein says Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets assistant coach who took over the big chair while Kevin McHale, also is interested in the Pistons job.
Still McMillan is reportedly the favorite. He has had successful stints as the coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers, but has taken a couple years off since the Blazers let him go.
The Pistons job is attractive because they have some key pieces in place — Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe should make a good front line for years to come. There is Brandon Knight in the backcourt as well as a lot of financial maneuverability.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7