Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 AM EDT
This isn’t a surprise, we told you not long after the Pistons jettisoned Lawrence Frank that they were interested in Nate McMillan, but now thing are getting more serious.
McMillan and the Pistons will sit down Tuesday to start the formal interview process, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Later the Pistons are expected to interview current — but everybody knows he will be canned in the next week — Suns coach Lindsay Hunter. Stein says Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets assistant coach who took over the big chair while Kevin McHale, also is interested in the Pistons job.
Still McMillan is reportedly the favorite. He has had successful stints as the coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers, but has taken a couple years off since the Blazers let him go.
The Pistons job is attractive because they have some key pieces in place — Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe should make a good front line for years to come. There is Brandon Knight in the backcourt as well as a lot of financial maneuverability.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10