Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
This isn’t a surprise, we told you not long after the Pistons jettisoned Lawrence Frank that they were interested in Nate McMillan, but now thing are getting more serious.
McMillan and the Pistons will sit down Tuesday to start the formal interview process, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
Later the Pistons are expected to interview current — but everybody knows he will be canned in the next week — Suns coach Lindsay Hunter. Stein says Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets assistant coach who took over the big chair while Kevin McHale, also is interested in the Pistons job.
Still McMillan is reportedly the favorite. He has had successful stints as the coach of the Sonics and Trail Blazers, but has taken a couple years off since the Blazers let him go.
The Pistons job is attractive because they have some key pieces in place — Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe should make a good front line for years to come. There is Brandon Knight in the backcourt as well as a lot of financial maneuverability.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 2
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 3
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8