PBT Extra: Talking Jason Collins’ NBA future, West playoff race

Apr 30, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Obviously the big news of the NBA week is Jason Collins and his coming out as a gay man who happens to be an NBA player. Except right now he’s an old NBA player hoping to catch on with a team next season. Kay Adams and I talk about the chances of that.

Then we get back to the Western Conference playoffs and the impact of the Russell Westbrook injury on the Thunder. Also, sure the Spurs are now the favorites in the West (they’ve got a healthy Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili) but the rest of the series between the Clippers and Grizzlies should be a war because they can see a much more clear path to the conference finals.

1. thraiderskin - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Just gonna beat this dead horse huh? I almost think the media likes to hammer an issue, cause reader/viewer back-lash, then accuse society of needing to go a long way. I really don’t think homosexuality is as big of an issue in the locker room, sure some guys will still be uncomfortable, but I think most competitors care more about competeing. How I see this story working its way out, the media will continue to push this story, to the point they are throwing it in everyone’s face, then when people (non-media) get so sick of hearing about it, you will write a bunch of new stories how society is so unfair.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I’ll say this one more time: This is a business, this blog is part of NBC’s online business. At the end of the day, if this blog doesn’t drive traffic, it goes away. So why do you think there are a lot of Jason Collins stories? Well, you clicked on the story, then left a comment, so it was a big enough deal for you to go through that effort.

If people ignore a story we post, we don’t do a lot of follow ups.

• thraiderskin - May 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Kurt, I greatly appreciate you responding to my comment, especially since I was being critical. I agree that this site operates through a business model and the goal is to get hits, but this site is based around entertainment, meaning people come here to read, in this case, about Basketball. While it is easy to jump behind the concept that we just shouldn’t click on the stories we don’t like, it is our duty as your readers (customers) to voice our displeasure with a product, many of us spend chunks of a day perusing. This one subject will not make or break this website, but this one subject sure does get a lot of stories dedicated to it. The point of my complaint was the fact that at some point, the customer is being left with nothing but THIS story to read, when all we want to do is enjoy basketball stories. Jason Collins is gay, we understand that, we also understand that he is the first active player among one of the United States’ major sports, it really didn’t need to go beyond that. What bothers me is that this story is being so blown-up, that it has created a media-frenzy, one that will make Mr. Collins more of a liability to any potential team that another big who quiely goes about his business. Mr. Collins is very brave, society can be very cruel to those who are different, but you and your colleagues have just made it that much more difficult for him. As you continue to inundate us with this, resentment will grow and our annoyance will become louder and far less respectful towards Mr. Collins. I’m not always able to put into words exactly what I’m trying to say(atleast not clearly), but I hope you understand my standpoint on this subject.

• kavika6 - May 1, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Players are used to perverted female reporters staring at their privates, Jason can’t be worse than that.

• 1historian - May 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

If you were a male reporter and were allowed in the women’s shower rooms – wouldn’t you stare at them?

2. 11thstreetmafia - May 1, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Ok

3. kavika6 - May 1, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Clippers didn’t seem to fight very hard tonight.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches