Apr 30, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
General Manager Rich Cho and the Charlotte Bobcats face some additional challenges in getting a coach — the top-flight assistants out there are hesitant to take over a bad team with no great young prospects in a small market. Michael Jordan as an owner is not a job. For example, the Bobcats reportedly offered their coaching spot to Brian Shaw last year but he chose being an assistant with the Pacers.
Which brings us to the first news of the Bobcats coaching search this year after they let Mike Dunlap go — Cleveland assistant Nate Tibbetts will interview for the job, reports Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer.
Tibbetts, 35, was retained by the Cavaliers after they fired head coach Byron Scott and replaced him with Mike Brown last week. Tibbetts also interviewed with the Bobcats last spring before they hired Mike Dunlap.
Before joining Scott’s staff, Tibbetts was a successful development-league coach. He took the Tulsa, Okla., franchise to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons before coming to Cleveland in December of 2011.
Tibbetts also was the USA Basketball head coach for the Pan-American Games in 2011 when we sent a team made up of D-League players.
On a roster where developing young talent is going to matter, there’s a fit. Tibbetts has a great relationship and has been a bit of a mentor to Kyrie Irving, and that worked out fairly well.
You can expect other names to pop up in this search as well. No, not Phil Jackson. No, he doesn’t want to reunite with MJ. If you think if PJ and MJ is happening I think you ate the wrong batch of brownies. But we will see some other, more reasonable names.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12