Apr 30, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
General Manager Rich Cho and the Charlotte Bobcats face some additional challenges in getting a coach — the top-flight assistants out there are hesitant to take over a bad team with no great young prospects in a small market. Michael Jordan as an owner is not a job. For example, the Bobcats reportedly offered their coaching spot to Brian Shaw last year but he chose being an assistant with the Pacers.
Which brings us to the first news of the Bobcats coaching search this year after they let Mike Dunlap go — Cleveland assistant Nate Tibbetts will interview for the job, reports Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer.
Tibbetts, 35, was retained by the Cavaliers after they fired head coach Byron Scott and replaced him with Mike Brown last week. Tibbetts also interviewed with the Bobcats last spring before they hired Mike Dunlap.
Before joining Scott’s staff, Tibbetts was a successful development-league coach. He took the Tulsa, Okla., franchise to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons before coming to Cleveland in December of 2011.
Tibbetts also was the USA Basketball head coach for the Pan-American Games in 2011 when we sent a team made up of D-League players.
On a roster where developing young talent is going to matter, there’s a fit. Tibbetts has a great relationship and has been a bit of a mentor to Kyrie Irving, and that worked out fairly well.
You can expect other names to pop up in this search as well. No, not Phil Jackson. No, he doesn’t want to reunite with MJ. If you think if PJ and MJ is happening I think you ate the wrong batch of brownies. But we will see some other, more reasonable names.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48