Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins: “I’m gay”

Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT

FILE:  NBA Player Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay Getty Images

Journeyman NBA center Jason Collins has come out as gay, the first active professional major team sport athlete to do so.

He wrote an article for Sports Illustrated (that hits newsstands May 6) and came out on his terms in his own words.

I’m a 34-year-old NBA center. I’m black. And I’m gay.

I didn’t set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I’m happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn’t the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, “I’m different.” If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I’m raising my hand….

Now I’m a free agent, literally and figuratively. I’ve reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.

You need to go read the entire story by him. It’s powerful. He talks about his road to discovery, coming out to his family and friends, and even that he wore No. 98 last season in honor of Mathew Shepard.

Good for Jason Collins. This is a bold and strong move.

source:  Collins is a 12-year NBA veteran, a solid defensive center who last season split time between the Celtics and Wizards. He was a high school powerhouse along with his brother Jarron, the pair went to Stanford together and took that team to the NCAA Final Four, and he has had a solid professional career where he has been the starting center on teams that made good playoff runs including making it to two NBA finals. He maybe is best known in hoops circles for being a defensive force for the Nets and providing size inside against the likes of Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan, and later on Chris Bosh and more.

As he says, Collins is a free agent.

This is going to bother some in the NBA community and some in locker rooms. But studies have shown that acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle is much, much higher among younger generations than older ones. And the NBA is filled with younger athletes. The general sense I’ve gotten from most players when this topic comes up is that if the guy can play, if he can contribute to a winning culture, most players don’t care what he does or who he does it with when he leaves the locker room. This isn’t a big deal to them.

I hope that is the case. I hope some team picks him up as a veteran big man off the bench and he gets a real shot next year to help a team. He is at the end of his career — teams want someone who can contribute and he can’t do a ton of that anymore — but I would hope he lands somewhere. And that this really ends up being no big deal and we can start to show that we as a society have moved past this kind of petty bigotry.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Russell Westbrook marrying longtime girlfriend this weekend

Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Westbrook and Nina Earl have been together since college.

2. Stephanie Ready to become first full-time female local NBA game color analyst

Aug 27, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

From twitter.com/StephanieReady From twitter.com/StephanieReady

As an NBA League Pass junkie I’ll tell you why I’m happy — she’s good.

3. Remembering Darryl Dawkins’ 20 greatest dunks (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxntu4mwq2otc2otkyntezmgm0njfmyjexywywmtdk AP

If you’re keeping score at home, there are two shattered backboards on the list.

4. Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Chocolate Thunder remained an ambassador of the game.

5. Report: Ryan Hollins receiving interest from Kings, Wizards, Clippers

Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He probably will land on a roster somewhere. Eventually.

6. Pelicans pull French center Alexis Ajinca out of EuroBasket

Aug 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

This is a blow to France, but they remain one of the deepest teams at EuroBasket and one of the favorites.

7. Despite earlier report, Chuck Hayes will not sign with Rockets

Aug 27, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

Houston’s salary cap picture changed before the deal got inked.

8. Pistons’ Brandon Jennings says when healthy he’s fine with being sixth man

Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Stan Van Gundy wants to play Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson together at times.

9. Report: Clippers, Glen Davis still talking about potential deal

Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

At this point in his career Davis is the “break glass in case of emergency” big.

10. LeBron James sells Miami home for cool $13.4 million

Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron turned a $4.4 million profit.

11. Report: Derrick Rose being sued by ex-girlfriend alleging rape, drugging

Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls V Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

There is no criminal report filed in this case. Rose nor his attorney have yet to comment on the report or suit.

12. Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era

Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' center Shaquille O'Neal (L) la Getty Images

Was there ever a more Shakespearean NBA drama than Shaq/Kobe?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches