Veteran NBA Center Jason Collins: “I’m gay”

Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT

FILE:  NBA Player Jason Collins Comes Out As Gay Getty Images

Journeyman NBA center Jason Collins has come out as gay, the first active professional major team sport athlete to do so.

He wrote an article for Sports Illustrated (that hits newsstands May 6) and came out on his terms in his own words.

I’m a 34-year-old NBA center. I’m black. And I’m gay.

I didn’t set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I’m happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn’t the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, “I’m different.” If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I’m raising my hand….

Now I’m a free agent, literally and figuratively. I’ve reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.

You need to go read the entire story by him. It’s powerful. He talks about his road to discovery, coming out to his family and friends, and even that he wore No. 98 last season in honor of Mathew Shepard.

Good for Jason Collins. This is a bold and strong move.

source:  Collins is a 12-year NBA veteran, a solid defensive center who last season split time between the Celtics and Wizards. He was a high school powerhouse along with his brother Jarron, the pair went to Stanford together and took that team to the NCAA Final Four, and he has had a solid professional career where he has been the starting center on teams that made good playoff runs including making it to two NBA finals. He maybe is best known in hoops circles for being a defensive force for the Nets and providing size inside against the likes of Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan, and later on Chris Bosh and more.

As he says, Collins is a free agent.

This is going to bother some in the NBA community and some in locker rooms. But studies have shown that acceptance of the gay and lesbian lifestyle is much, much higher among younger generations than older ones. And the NBA is filled with younger athletes. The general sense I’ve gotten from most players when this topic comes up is that if the guy can play, if he can contribute to a winning culture, most players don’t care what he does or who he does it with when he leaves the locker room. This isn’t a big deal to them.

I hope that is the case. I hope some team picks him up as a veteran big man off the bench and he gets a real shot next year to help a team. He is at the end of his career — teams want someone who can contribute and he can’t do a ton of that anymore — but I would hope he lands somewhere. And that this really ends up being no big deal and we can start to show that we as a society have moved past this kind of petty bigotry.

Latest Posts
  1. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

2. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

3. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

4. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

5. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

6. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

7. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

8. Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker training to be Starbucks manager

Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Vin Baker AP

He’s been sober four years, which is most important.

9. Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick

Jul 28, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Michael Jordan Michael Jordan

Did Michael Jordan hijack the draft process in Charlotte again?

10. Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign

Jul 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Scott Walker Scott Walker

Walker is expected to sign the bill to allocate funds for a new arena.

11. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov: “We had a really good offseason.”

Jul 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Mikhail Prokhorov Mikhail Prokhorov

The Nets added solid role players in addition to re-signing Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young.

12. Report: Clippers center Ekpe Udoh signs one-year deal in Turkey

Jul 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT

Ekpe Udoh Ekpe Udoh

Udoh played five seasons with the Warriors, Bucks and Clippers.

13. Matt Barnes on Serge Ibaka: “He’s just dirty.”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:59 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green

Barnes hasn’t forgotten Ibaka’s altercations with Blake Griffin.

14. Karl-Anthony Towns: I want Kevin Garnett to teach me “how to be a champion”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Garnett came out to Summer League practices to work with Towns.

15. Mason Plumlee rapping? Yes, Mason Plumlee rapping. (VIDEO)

Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Mason Plumlee with a money gun shooting $100s.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches