Apr 29, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
But Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks plans to give Durant a break – even if one isn’t as necessary as it seems. Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
While Durant’s 47 minutes and change of playing time looks intense on paper, it is perhaps a bit misleading. Durant was on fire in the first quarter, scoring 17 points to help the Thunder build a 20-point lead against the Rockets after the opening period. Additionally, long timeouts due to the national television broadcasts, coupled with the Thunder being strategic with timeout calls, allowed Durant ample opportunities to catch a break.
“In the second and fourth quarter, there’s a lot of real-time rest,” Brooks said. “But if he has an opportunity to get a few more minutes of rest in the first half I’m going to take advantage of that.”
Thanks to their strong regular season, the top-seeded Thunder have an opportunity to give Durant even more rest than just a few minutes. While the fourth-seeded Clippers and fifth-seeded Grizzlies, currently tied 2-2, battle out the remaining games in their series, Oklahoma City could be resting.
But if the Thunder are going to get more rest for Durant by giving him more rest in the first place, his teammates must step up offensively – especially Kevin Martin, who shot 3-for-11 in Game 3. As that game continued, the Rockets better defended Oklahoma City’s Durant-focused offense, and simply repeating the same structure probably won’t work for the Thunder.
They must – in the minutes Durant plays and the minutes he doesn’t – more successfully involve Reggie Jackson and Derek Fisher. That’s a tall task, and maybe it will take the Thunder more games to do, but dividends could be large: days, not minutes, of rest for Durant.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11