Apr 29, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
But Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks plans to give Durant a break – even if one isn’t as necessary as it seems. Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
While Durant’s 47 minutes and change of playing time looks intense on paper, it is perhaps a bit misleading. Durant was on fire in the first quarter, scoring 17 points to help the Thunder build a 20-point lead against the Rockets after the opening period. Additionally, long timeouts due to the national television broadcasts, coupled with the Thunder being strategic with timeout calls, allowed Durant ample opportunities to catch a break.
“In the second and fourth quarter, there’s a lot of real-time rest,” Brooks said. “But if he has an opportunity to get a few more minutes of rest in the first half I’m going to take advantage of that.”
Thanks to their strong regular season, the top-seeded Thunder have an opportunity to give Durant even more rest than just a few minutes. While the fourth-seeded Clippers and fifth-seeded Grizzlies, currently tied 2-2, battle out the remaining games in their series, Oklahoma City could be resting.
But if the Thunder are going to get more rest for Durant by giving him more rest in the first place, his teammates must step up offensively – especially Kevin Martin, who shot 3-for-11 in Game 3. As that game continued, the Rockets better defended Oklahoma City’s Durant-focused offense, and simply repeating the same structure probably won’t work for the Thunder.
They must – in the minutes Durant plays and the minutes he doesn’t – more successfully involve Reggie Jackson and Derek Fisher. That’s a tall task, and maybe it will take the Thunder more games to do, but dividends could be large: days, not minutes, of rest for Durant.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15