Apr 29, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
But Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks plans to give Durant a break – even if one isn’t as necessary as it seems. Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
While Durant’s 47 minutes and change of playing time looks intense on paper, it is perhaps a bit misleading. Durant was on fire in the first quarter, scoring 17 points to help the Thunder build a 20-point lead against the Rockets after the opening period. Additionally, long timeouts due to the national television broadcasts, coupled with the Thunder being strategic with timeout calls, allowed Durant ample opportunities to catch a break.
“In the second and fourth quarter, there’s a lot of real-time rest,” Brooks said. “But if he has an opportunity to get a few more minutes of rest in the first half I’m going to take advantage of that.”
Thanks to their strong regular season, the top-seeded Thunder have an opportunity to give Durant even more rest than just a few minutes. While the fourth-seeded Clippers and fifth-seeded Grizzlies, currently tied 2-2, battle out the remaining games in their series, Oklahoma City could be resting.
But if the Thunder are going to get more rest for Durant by giving him more rest in the first place, his teammates must step up offensively – especially Kevin Martin, who shot 3-for-11 in Game 3. As that game continued, the Rockets better defended Oklahoma City’s Durant-focused offense, and simply repeating the same structure probably won’t work for the Thunder.
They must – in the minutes Durant plays and the minutes he doesn’t – more successfully involve Reggie Jackson and Derek Fisher. That’s a tall task, and maybe it will take the Thunder more games to do, but dividends could be large: days, not minutes, of rest for Durant.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18