James Harden says Kevin Durant’s late three-pointer was ‘a lucky shot’

Apr 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

To say that Kevin Durant was the beneficiary of a fortuitous bounce on this three-pointer that went down with 36.9 seconds remaining in the Thunder’s Game 3 win over the Rockets would be an understatement.

The ball first hit the back of the rim, then bounced off high into the air, before landing softly on the front of the rim and then the back once more before falling through the net.

The shot put the Thunder back up for good, after the Rockets had erased all of a 26-point first half lead to go up by two on a three-pointer from Francisco Garcia on the previous possession.

After the game, James Harden characterized the shot as exactly what it was, via Dave Zangaro of CSN Houston.

“He just made a lucky shot,” Harden said. “It was good defense. The ball bounced three times on the rim and just went in and it kind of took some of the energy out of us. It was a big-time shot.”

Durant himself went with something a little stronger than luck when speaking about the shot afterward, via Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman.

“The Lord was with us,” Durant said of his final shot. “That’s all I was thinking. As soon as I shot it and it hit the back of the rim I was thinking, ‘Not again. A tough 3 I shot. Maybe I should have drove. Maybe I should have got a foul.’ But it bounced in all because of the good Lord, man.”

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

It was…

• gmsingh - Apr 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM

In that case Durant must average about 70 or 80 “lucky shots” per season.

2. patfic15 - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

1. Disappeared in the 2012 Finals
    2. Good thing to get blown out on game 1.
    3. Kevin Durant now has lucky shots.

I like the can do attitude, but please reel it in a little James.

3. noahbird - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Well, if you are pro-creator it did make the physical world and what we term, physics. So, maybe the good lord did do it.

Christians should hire me to explain stuff.

Twitter @noahbird11

• bigbenh8tr - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Wow. Loser

• zapainhurtzalot - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Idiotic remark, however, ““The Lord was with us,” Durant said”, REALLY? I find it hilarious how when a team wins or an athlete does something remarkable, they give credit to a deity. So this deity was not with the losing team? Notice that you’ve never heard a player/team say “god wasn’t with us tonight” when they lose.

Didn’t realize that this deity chose sides. He must be a Heat fan now and hate the Lakers, but then again, how can you not hate the Lakers and the biggest egomaniac in the game Kobe. Great player mind you; I’ll give him that. Have a nice off season Kobe LOL.

4. 13arod - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

it was skill

• money2long - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM

i’d like to see his shot miss off the rim, hit high off the glass and bounce its way into the hoop over and over. that sorta skill would be useful in horse, don’t you think ?

5. 13arod - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

this same shoot happrned to me when i was playing nba 2k13 on xbox

6. 00maltliquor - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Damn right it was!! I was already celebrating the fact that he missed it and by the graces of God (yeah, that’s right…I said God you heathens! Ooooooo) it magically fell in! I was suuuuper pissed! BOTH my teams are gonna get swept! What a comeback though. That second half was very interesting.

7. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

But while it was lucky, Harden has been choking royally all series.

8. asimonetti88 - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM

No doubt it was lucky. KD is still a beast though.

9. preppyang - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Lucky shot?! Lucky or not, at least Durant had the guts to SHOOT! Don’t be scared of the last shot Harden. Big players make big plays in big games. SHOOT THE ROCK!

10. kavika6 - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Harden has a lot of experience with lucky shots. Anyone that watched the Western Conference finals last year could tell you that.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches