Apr 27, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
With just over seven minutes remaining, Smith was isolated with the ball on the wing, with Jason Terry defending. Terry aggressively swiped at the ball, and Smith responded by swinging an elbow that caught Terry in the face and caused him to hit the floor.
Terry had to be held back from going after Smith, and the referees viewed the play as being malicious enough to rule it a flagrant two foul, which comes with it an automatic ejection.
There didn’t appear to be any question that Smith’s elbow was intentional, although he said otherwise to reporters afterward.
We’ll have to wait and see if Smith receives any additional punishment from the league in the form of a suspension, but with or without him, the Knicks are likely to complete their sweep of the Celtics in Game 4 on Sunday.
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 0
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58