Apr 27, 2013, 12:19 AM EST
With just over seven minutes remaining, Smith was isolated with the ball on the wing, with Jason Terry defending. Terry aggressively swiped at the ball, and Smith responded by swinging an elbow that caught Terry in the face and caused him to hit the floor.
Terry had to be held back from going after Smith, and the referees viewed the play as being malicious enough to rule it a flagrant two foul, which comes with it an automatic ejection.
There didn’t appear to be any question that Smith’s elbow was intentional, although he said otherwise to reporters afterward.
We’ll have to wait and see if Smith receives any additional punishment from the league in the form of a suspension, but with or without him, the Knicks are likely to complete their sweep of the Celtics in Game 4 on Sunday.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9