Apr 27, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
With just over seven minutes remaining, Smith was isolated with the ball on the wing, with Jason Terry defending. Terry aggressively swiped at the ball, and Smith responded by swinging an elbow that caught Terry in the face and caused him to hit the floor.
Terry had to be held back from going after Smith, and the referees viewed the play as being malicious enough to rule it a flagrant two foul, which comes with it an automatic ejection.
There didn’t appear to be any question that Smith’s elbow was intentional, although he said otherwise to reporters afterward.
We’ll have to wait and see if Smith receives any additional punishment from the league in the form of a suspension, but with or without him, the Knicks are likely to complete their sweep of the Celtics in Game 4 on Sunday.
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 7
- Phil Jackson wants Carmelo Anthony to take less money to re-sign with Knicks 40
- Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide 17
- Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player 13
- Report: James Dolan meddles into Phil Jackson’s attempts to fire Knicks employees 52