Apr 27, 2013, 12:19 AM EST
With just over seven minutes remaining, Smith was isolated with the ball on the wing, with Jason Terry defending. Terry aggressively swiped at the ball, and Smith responded by swinging an elbow that caught Terry in the face and caused him to hit the floor.
Terry had to be held back from going after Smith, and the referees viewed the play as being malicious enough to rule it a flagrant two foul, which comes with it an automatic ejection.
There didn’t appear to be any question that Smith’s elbow was intentional, although he said otherwise to reporters afterward.
We’ll have to wait and see if Smith receives any additional punishment from the league in the form of a suspension, but with or without him, the Knicks are likely to complete their sweep of the Celtics in Game 4 on Sunday.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 8
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10