Patrick Beverley says there was no intent to injure Russell Westbrook

Apr 26, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game Two Getty Images

When the news broke that Russell Westbrook would be out indefinitely after needing to undergo surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus he suffered in the Thunder’s Game 3 win over the Rockets, all eyes turned to Patrick Beverley, and the play where Westbrook was injured.

Beverley ended up knocking knees with Westbrook, on a play where the Rockets guard was trying to steal the ball just before the Thunder were set to call a timeout.

Fans in Oklahoma City (and at the time, even Westbrook himself) seemed angry at Beverley for making this play, one that is routine in the NBA and happens on a nightly basis.

Speaking to reporters after shootaround on Friday, Beverley made it clear that he had no intention of trying to injure Westbrook.

“Unfortunate situation, of course,” he said. “You hate to see the type of player like that go out with an injury like that. But the Thunder are still a good team, and we have to prepare for a good team right now.”

Beverley was asked where he made contact with Westbrook, but said he hasn’t seen a replay of the incident.

“I don’t even remember,” he said. “I haven’t really seen it yet. I really don’t watch ESPN like that, so I haven’t see it yet. But like I said, it’s definitely unfortunate. I was definitely looking forward to playing Westbrook again and battling again. It’s just an unfortunate situation.”

As for whether or not trying to make that play as the opposing team is heading into a timeout is a questionable tactic, Beverley pointed out that it’s relatively common around the league, before making it known that he wasn’t trying to hurt anyone with his aggressive actions.

“A lot of people do it throughout the league,” he said. “Anyone who knows me, I don’t go out there and try to hurt anybody. I play at one speed, that’s fast. I crash for offensive rebounds. I was just trying to make a play on the ball before they called timeout, and a play like that I’ll continue to say, it’s just unfortunate right now.”

Finally, Beverley was asked if he believed the play he made was a basketball one, and whether or not there was anything dirty about it.

“No, I don’t think so,” he said. “I think I tried to make a play on the basketball before he called a timeout. No intention at all to try to injure anybody. Like I said, anyone who knows me knows that’s not my type of game.”

Latest Posts
  1. Supreme Court has a basketball court (photo)

Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Highest Court in the Land

2. Damian Lillard first in line as Team USA injury replacement

Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT

Dominican Republic v United States Getty Images

Could Trail Blazers guard replace Derrick Rose in World Cup?

3. Watch the World Cup hype video

Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

See Pau Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and Serge Ibaka dance

4. Rockets sign undrafted Tarik Black to partially guaranteed two-year contract

Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Tarik Black, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Daniels Tarik Black, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Daniels

Black, who played at Kansas and Memphis, could be headed to Houston’s D-League affiliate

5. David Griffin defends Cavaliers’ pursuit of John Calipari

Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

David Griffin David Griffin

Dan Gilbert, after throwing money at Kentucky coach, settled for management that landed LeBron James and Kevin Love this offseason

6. Lakers’ physical therapist: Kobe Bryant has highest pain tolerance I’ve ever seen

Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Judy Seto doesn’t even bother asking Kobe to rate his pain, because the question is pointless

7. Dante Exum to come off the bench for Australia in World Cup

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Dante Exum Dante Exum

Jazz guard will play behind Matthew Dellavedova and Ryan Broekhoff

8. Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts

Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Dominican Republic v USA Getty Images

Cousins was long safe and part of the USA rotation.

9. Report: Kobe Bryant studying Paul Pierce on how to adapt game as he ages

Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant

If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.

10. Derrick Rose dismisses injury concern after blah showing against Slovenia

Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto

Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup

11. World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold

Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.

12. Report: Leandro Barbosa reaches deal with Warriors

Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.

13. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

14. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

15. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches