Apr 26, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES — The virtual worst-case scenario has become the Lakers reality.
By the way, Metta World Peace was in the locker room after getting his knee drained in the last 24 hours, but it’s safe to say he moved stiffly.
How does Mike D’Antoni deal with what he called an “over the top” string of injuries?
“As a coach you sleep like a baby — every 15 minutes you wake up and cry,” D’Antoni said.
Goudelock will be honored by the Lakers before the game — the guy known as a gunner around the team was named NBA D-League MVP this season for his play with Sioux Falls.
In the Lakers locker room, surrounded by the kind of media scrum that usually is reserved for Dwight Howard or World Peace, Goudelock talked about trying to grab the moment.
“(D’Antoni told me) Just play, which I was going to do anyway,” Goudelock said. “Just go out there and hoop, don’t worry about anything…
“(Kobe Bryant) says his choice words. He just told me to go out there and play, he knows I can play so go out there and do it… then he talked about, he saw me play the other day and gave some advice on guarding against Tony Parker.”
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he really had not even seen a scouting report on the Lakers young stars, but fortunately other guys knew them. His point was not to have his players let down because he expects Goudelock and Morris to go hard. Then again, the Spurs should have figured that out after Kobe went down and the Lakers kept coming hard.
The Lakers problem is they are just overmatched.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 2
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11