Apr 26, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES — The virtual worst-case scenario has become the Lakers reality.
By the way, Metta World Peace was in the locker room after getting his knee drained in the last 24 hours, but it’s safe to say he moved stiffly.
How does Mike D’Antoni deal with what he called an “over the top” string of injuries?
“As a coach you sleep like a baby — every 15 minutes you wake up and cry,” D’Antoni said.
Goudelock will be honored by the Lakers before the game — the guy known as a gunner around the team was named NBA D-League MVP this season for his play with Sioux Falls.
In the Lakers locker room, surrounded by the kind of media scrum that usually is reserved for Dwight Howard or World Peace, Goudelock talked about trying to grab the moment.
“(D’Antoni told me) Just play, which I was going to do anyway,” Goudelock said. “Just go out there and hoop, don’t worry about anything…
“(Kobe Bryant) says his choice words. He just told me to go out there and play, he knows I can play so go out there and do it… then he talked about, he saw me play the other day and gave some advice on guarding against Tony Parker.”
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he really had not even seen a scouting report on the Lakers young stars, but fortunately other guys knew them. His point was not to have his players let down because he expects Goudelock and Morris to go hard. Then again, the Spurs should have figured that out after Kobe went down and the Lakers kept coming hard.
The Lakers problem is they are just overmatched.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 10
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 7
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 15
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26