Apr 26, 2013, 2:52 PM EST
We knew that already but his father basically confirmed that to the New York Post. Then threw in an interesting tidbit — Smith had a bigger offer on the table from the Lakers but took the Knicks deal anyway.
Which leads to the bigger question — the Knicks are limited in what they can offer Smith, if another team comes in over the top with a bigger offer will Smith remain loyal to the Knicks?
Earl said his son has already taken less to be a Knick, claiming the Lakers had a superior offer last summer.
“It depends on what’s on the table,’’ Earl said. “He’s already taken a lot less the last two years to play here. Whatever the decision, I support.
If that larger offer comes, Smith thinks his son should thank Mike Woodson for it.
“I got to give all the credit to Knicks organization and Coach Woodson,’’ Earl Smith told The Post yesterday. “When you got a coach like that, anything’s possible.”
The Knicks have Smith’s Early-Bird rights, which means the most they can offer him is 104.5 percent of the average league salary. That figure has yet to be determined for next season, but safe to say the Knicks will be able to offer about $5.5 million give or take, and it must be a two-year deal at least.
Other teams under the salary cap can come in and offer more. How much more they would offer is the question — he’s the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year, but he’s a gunner who takes (and often makes) bad shots. He doesn’t fit in every system. It will take the right coach and fit.
My guess is no team will come in so far over the top that Smith will be tempted, and he will stay with the Knicks. That said, never underestimate what a GM that has cap space and who needs a splash will do.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11