Apr 26, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
He was grimacing in pain. He shot 1-for-12 and had six turnovers (although he did have 11 assists and nine rebounds). He was not the same guy on the defensive end.
And it comes back to that knee he was resting at the end of the regular season — it’s still not right.
“I’m not where I want to be. I’m not even close,” Wade said, words that, in the big picture, meant far more than Thursday’s result. “I’m still able to push through certain things…
“I shot the ball terrible,” he said. “But we played a good game. I wasn’t feeling great tonight. I’m not worried about it. I’m not going to cry. I’ve got two days off. So, hopefully, it’ll be better for Game 4.”
If time off is what Wade needs he and the Heat can get a nice stretch of it — win Game 4 on Sunday and Miami could be off a week or more waiting for the winner of the Brooklyn/Chicago series that looks like it could go seven games (Chicago leads 2-1).
In the first round, going 1-of-12 for a night is not going to slow the Heat against the Bucks. Frankly the Heat should have enough to survive that in the second round against either opponent as well.
But by the conference finals — likely facing the Knicks or Pacers — and the NBA finals this kind of game from Wade could do in the Heat for a game. Fortunately for the Heat, with the way the playoffs stretch out, Wade will have some time to get right.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0