Apr 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
I strained a hamstring just watching the Lakers lose to the Spurs Wednesday night.
Like Odysseus just trying to get home, the basketball gods are not done throwing obstacles in the Lakers way. And obstacles in this case are more injuries.
So here is a rundown of the Lakers injuries as of postgame Wednesday night. Make yourself comfortable, this could take a while.
• Steve Nash. Well, he played 31 minutes Tuesday. But he moved like a guy older than his 39 years and by the fourth quarter had a noticeable limp. After the game it was announced he would get an epidural and with that will try to go in Game 3.
• Steve Blake. The guard that largely carried the Lakers perimeter game at the end of the regular season checked out in the fourth quarter with an injured right hamstring. He will get an ultrasound on Thursday and his status for Friday will be based on that.
• Jodie Meeks. He tried to warm up and give it a go but couldn’t play. He’s got a sprained ankle and will have an MRI on Thursday to see the extent of the damage and if he can go.
• Jordan Hill. Well, he returned from hip surgery that was supposed to keep him out through the playoffs, but Mike D’Antoni didn’t let him test it until the final six minutes of the game. Obviously, there will be a lot of rust and conditioning issues.
• Kobe Bryant. Do we really need to go there? He’s out. And he’s off twitter during games.
• And just a note to Shaquille O’Neal and the Inside the NBA crew — all those injuries above are part of the reason Dwight Howard isn’t getting the numbers you think he should. You can’t establish an inside game without the threat of an outside game to keep teams from packing the paint.
What’s more the game has changed and the rules have changed — you can’t just dump the ball in the post and have the guy go at it in isolation anymore. The changes to allow zone defense means the help to double a big in the post is much closer than it was at Shaq’s peak. It gets there faster and because teams overload the strong side they cut off the obvious pass out. The only way you get room to operate down there is to have shooters that make teams pay for those doubles after a couple passes. The Lakers don’t have that now. Not close.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT
Chris Paul and J.J. Redick look good as Clippers ready for playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
Video of one player executing a crossover that drops another player to the floor — you know you’re watching.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Sick pass, monster slam.
Joe Johnson says he shouldn’t have been laughing on bench during blowout loss to Knicks earlier in season
Apr 15, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Joe Johnson says Jeff Van Gundy’s criticism of his behavior was spot-on.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike D’Antoni had no idea how beating the Jazz on Monday would negatively impact his team’s Draft Lottery chances. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Anthony is out for the rest of the season but will not be surgery and will be good to go next season.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Just 7-8 minutes before, Cedric Maxwell had stood next to one of the people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, but he decided to go inside and get warm.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
With nothing on line Pacers going to rest key guys… except Hibbert.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s not something you could ever prove (and the Nets may not even do it), but they could rest guys in hopes of falling into a first-round matchup with Toronto.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Damian Lillard doesn’t want to end up like all those players without rings. The ones sitting in his living room.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Two general managers make all three ballots, one tops each
Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Award honors ‘outstanding service and dedication to the community’
Apr 15, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
It was just a fender bender, the good news is nobody got hurt. However, Chandler Parsons was delayed getting to the Toyota Center for the Rockets game Monday when he got into an accident. And then the other driver found out who he was and… I will let Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tell…
Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
And Burke is one of the best rookies in this class….
Carmelo Anthony questionable against Nets tonight, but not if Mike Woodson has anything to say about it
Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Melo, a pending free agent, could be done playing for Knicks
Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
We know for sure the Pacers play the Hawks in the first round, and we know the Rockets and Blazers will meet. After that all the matchups are still up in the air.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Knicks forward come become free agent this offseason
Apr 15, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rockets guard known for defense, anyway, right?
Apr 15, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Noah’s good feelings end in 3, 2, 1…
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 0
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 13
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 1
- 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year 25
- Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air 13