Apr 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
I strained a hamstring just watching the Lakers lose to the Spurs Wednesday night.
Like Odysseus just trying to get home, the basketball gods are not done throwing obstacles in the Lakers way. And obstacles in this case are more injuries.
So here is a rundown of the Lakers injuries as of postgame Wednesday night. Make yourself comfortable, this could take a while.
• Steve Nash. Well, he played 31 minutes Tuesday. But he moved like a guy older than his 39 years and by the fourth quarter had a noticeable limp. After the game it was announced he would get an epidural and with that will try to go in Game 3.
• Steve Blake. The guard that largely carried the Lakers perimeter game at the end of the regular season checked out in the fourth quarter with an injured right hamstring. He will get an ultrasound on Thursday and his status for Friday will be based on that.
• Jodie Meeks. He tried to warm up and give it a go but couldn’t play. He’s got a sprained ankle and will have an MRI on Thursday to see the extent of the damage and if he can go.
• Jordan Hill. Well, he returned from hip surgery that was supposed to keep him out through the playoffs, but Mike D’Antoni didn’t let him test it until the final six minutes of the game. Obviously, there will be a lot of rust and conditioning issues.
• Kobe Bryant. Do we really need to go there? He’s out. And he’s off twitter during games.
• And just a note to Shaquille O’Neal and the Inside the NBA crew — all those injuries above are part of the reason Dwight Howard isn’t getting the numbers you think he should. You can’t establish an inside game without the threat of an outside game to keep teams from packing the paint.
What’s more the game has changed and the rules have changed — you can’t just dump the ball in the post and have the guy go at it in isolation anymore. The changes to allow zone defense means the help to double a big in the post is much closer than it was at Shaq’s peak. It gets there faster and because teams overload the strong side they cut off the obvious pass out. The only way you get room to operate down there is to have shooters that make teams pay for those doubles after a couple passes. The Lakers don’t have that now. Not close.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:21 PM EDT
Jimmy Kimmell is the best part.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff
Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Enter Andrei Kirilenko to save the day?
Jul 29, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Will anyone claim him?
Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision
Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away
Jul 29, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Brooklyn owner praises Adam Silver for filling in
Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates
Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT
He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster
Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Bounce passes are less effective in baseball.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’
Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?
Jul 28, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
Hint, hint, hint
Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri
Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game
Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
He’ll be back this fall.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17