Apr 25, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
Garrett Temple was born in Louisiana, grew up in Louisiana and played collegiately in Louisiana. He also joined the Wizards, who have the NBA’s second-worst nickname, after playing for the team with the league’s worst nickname, the Bobcats.
So, he’s uniquely qualified to assess New Orleans’ new “Pelicans” nickname, and he doesn’t like it. Via Ben Standig of CSN Washington
“Out of the 30 NBA teams, I really wished it wouldn’t be New Orleans,” Wizards guard Garrett Temple said.
“I learned about that in sixth grade in Louisiana history that the Pelican was the state bird,” Temple noted. “Not that I’ve seen a lot of pelicans in New Orleans.
“I wish we could just get the Jazz back because there is a lot of Jazz in New Orleans. That’s really don’t have a lot of Jazz in Utah. Give Utah, I don’t know what they would be, Do a name trade, something.”
The Jazz would be the ideal nickname for a New Orleans basketball team, but Jazz is already so ingrained in Utah – regardless of the logic – New Orleans isn’t getting it back, and the Big Easy handled that as well as possible. I love “Pelicans,” a fun moniker that has real ties to the location.
Because Pelicans is such a change from convention – part of the reason I love it – I also understand why some are resistant. But can’t someone who plays for the Wizards realize he’ll eventually become accustomed to Pelicans? Via Standig:
“I’m used to the Wizards even though I’ve never seen a Wizard in Washington, D.C. as of yet,” Temple cracked. “The Pelicans, it just doesn’t seem right. “Maybe in three years we’re talking about another name change and the pelicans is just an afterthought.”
Hopefully the only nickname changes, without a move accompanying it, in the next three years are Charlotte becoming the Hornets again Washington becoming the Bullets again. But if the Pelicans want to make a change, how about adopting purple, green and gold – Mardi Gras colors – as their official colors?
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10