Apr 25, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
Garrett Temple was born in Louisiana, grew up in Louisiana and played collegiately in Louisiana. He also joined the Wizards, who have the NBA’s second-worst nickname, after playing for the team with the league’s worst nickname, the Bobcats.
So, he’s uniquely qualified to assess New Orleans’ new “Pelicans” nickname, and he doesn’t like it. Via Ben Standig of CSN Washington
“Out of the 30 NBA teams, I really wished it wouldn’t be New Orleans,” Wizards guard Garrett Temple said.
“I learned about that in sixth grade in Louisiana history that the Pelican was the state bird,” Temple noted. “Not that I’ve seen a lot of pelicans in New Orleans.
“I wish we could just get the Jazz back because there is a lot of Jazz in New Orleans. That’s really don’t have a lot of Jazz in Utah. Give Utah, I don’t know what they would be, Do a name trade, something.”
The Jazz would be the ideal nickname for a New Orleans basketball team, but Jazz is already so ingrained in Utah – regardless of the logic – New Orleans isn’t getting it back, and the Big Easy handled that as well as possible. I love “Pelicans,” a fun moniker that has real ties to the location.
Because Pelicans is such a change from convention – part of the reason I love it – I also understand why some are resistant. But can’t someone who plays for the Wizards realize he’ll eventually become accustomed to Pelicans? Via Standig:
“I’m used to the Wizards even though I’ve never seen a Wizard in Washington, D.C. as of yet,” Temple cracked. “The Pelicans, it just doesn’t seem right. “Maybe in three years we’re talking about another name change and the pelicans is just an afterthought.”
Hopefully the only nickname changes, without a move accompanying it, in the next three years are Charlotte becoming the Hornets again Washington becoming the Bullets again. But if the Pelicans want to make a change, how about adopting purple, green and gold – Mardi Gras colors – as their official colors?
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36