Wizards guard doesn’t like Pelicans nickname

Apr 25, 2013, 9:55 AM EST

Garrett Temple, Jimmy Butler

Garrett Temple was born in Louisiana, grew up in Louisiana and played collegiately in Louisiana. He also joined the Wizards, who have the NBA’s second-worst nickname, after playing for the team with the league’s worst nickname, the Bobcats.

So, he’s uniquely qualified to assess New Orleans’ new “Pelicans” nickname, and he doesn’t like it. Via Ben Standig of CSN Washington

“Out of the 30 NBA teams, I really wished it wouldn’t be New Orleans,” Wizards guard Garrett Temple said.

“I learned about that in sixth grade in Louisiana history that the Pelican was the state bird,” Temple noted. “Not that I’ve seen a lot of pelicans in New Orleans.

“I wish we could just get the Jazz back because there is a lot of Jazz in New Orleans. That’s really don’t have a lot of Jazz in Utah. Give Utah, I don’t know what they would be, Do a name trade, something.”

The Jazz would be the ideal nickname for a New Orleans basketball team, but Jazz is already so ingrained in Utah – regardless of the logic – New Orleans isn’t getting it back, and the Big Easy handled that as well as possible. I love “Pelicans,” a fun moniker that has real ties to the location.

Because Pelicans is such a change from convention – part of the reason I love it – I also understand why some are resistant. But can’t someone who plays for the Wizards realize he’ll eventually become accustomed to Pelicans? Via Standig:

“I’m used to the Wizards even though I’ve never seen a Wizard in Washington, D.C. as of yet,” Temple cracked. “The Pelicans, it just doesn’t seem right. “Maybe in three years we’re talking about another name change and the pelicans is just an afterthought.”

Hopefully the only nickname changes, without a move accompanying it, in the next three years are Charlotte becoming the Hornets again Washington becoming the Bullets again. But if the Pelicans want to make a change, how about adopting purple, green and gold – Mardi Gras colors – as their official colors?

1. zblott - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

He’s right that there should be a name change, but not with the Pelicans.

Jazz should be in NO for obvious reasons.
    Hornets should be in Utah since they’re the Beehive State.

2. lakerluver - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Washington should still be the Bullets, New Orleans should be the Jazz. Utah? I could think of a couple of names but I don’t want to be banned from PBT.

• abasketballthing - Apr 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Minnesota should be the Lakers.

3. stephenolszewski - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I was actually wondering today what Garret Temple’s thoughts were on the New Orleans name change…..

4. 4thquartermagic - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I think all NBA teams should follow this trend of using their state bird as their team name

(looks up Colorado state bird)

“The Denver….. Lark Buntings?!”

Umm. never mind.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Minnesota Loons or Atlanta Brown Thrashers would be cool. Although that ATL mascot may be considered to have racist undertones.

5. loungefly74 - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

it just doesn’t roll off the tongue eloquently…New Orleans Pelicans…eh, i can like it…it will just take time.

“Bullets” was a great name…much better than Wizards.

this talk reminds me of the beginning narration in the movie “Basketball”…hilarious.

6. ncm42 - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

So if UT should give up “Jazz”, LA should give up “Lakers”?

7. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I still call them the Bullets. Never the Wizards. And forget the PC police.

• lmoneyfresh - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You’re such a rebel.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You know it.

8. scrap7681 - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

For some reason I’m thinking the Unibrows sounds good.

9. franklinandbashandflorio - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

N.O. Needs to buy the jingle from Popeyes and change their name to The Louisiana Fast.

10. seattlenative57 - Apr 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Washington will always be the Bullets, and while we’re at it, relocate them to Baltimore; Charlotte should be renamed Hornets since it’s available. And Utah should just be banned altogether.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches