Apr 25, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Phil Jackson wants back in the NBA but despite the wishes of dreaming fan bases everywhere he doesn’t want to return to the grind of NBA coaching — he wants a front office gig. Not the heavy load and long hours of a GM either, but more of a president or consultant role for a team.
And at least a few teams are apparently interested in talking.
Jackson told Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle that there have been preliminary talks with a few franchises. (Hat tip to SLAM.)
“I’ve had some talks with people,” Jackson said, “and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven’t made up my mind yet what I’m going to do. None of it involves coaching… There are three or four teams that have been interested.”
Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team “where you’d have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it.”
He wants to be a CEO. He wants to set an overall tone and have everybody else figure out the details. Heck, we’d all like that gig. (His talk of returning to the Lakers should not be confused with him wanting to coach anywhere else, that was a one-off special situation.)
Again, we don’t know how far these talks went but likely they were very early exploratory. It’s going to take the right situation to land him. Jackson is not going to come cheap so it needs to be a situation that both attracts him and where the owner has pockets deep enough to play this game. Also it needs to be an owner and team willing to have Jackson be the face of the franchise in a lot of ways, because once he comes in he will be “the man.” And that doesn’t mean he’ll be easy to work with, he has strong opinions about things.
But at some point you can bet he gets a gig somewhere.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32