Apr 25, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
It looks like the Lakers will head into Game 3 against the Spurs Friday night without their top four guards.
Steve Blake is out indefinitely with a right hamstring injury suffered in the fourth quarter of the Lakers latest loss on Wednesday night, the team announced Thursday afternoon. The injury was checked out by ultrasound and found to be moderate but that is enough he is done for a while.
Both Steve Nash (hip and hamstring, for which he had his third epidural) and Jodie Meeks (sprained ankle, kept him out of Game 2) are listed as doubtful for Friday night. Mike D’Antoni said, “realistically Meeks is more doubtful than Nash,” but I wouldn’t bet on either playing.
And we all know that Kobe Bryant is sitting at home with a torn Achilles and not tweeting.
What that means is a lot of Darius Morris (covering Tony Parker), a lot of Andrew Goudelock, a lot of Chris Duhon. All that up against Manu Ginobili and the rest of the Spurs in a must-win game for the Lakers. Good luck with that.
The problem for the Lakers is there advantage is inside but in the NBA you can take away what a team does best in the playoffs — the Spurs have fronted the post, hand help nearby and generally crowded the paint and made life difficult for Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol. The Spurs have size with Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter, but they are throwing the kitchen sink at the Lakers bigs. The Spurs can do that because they pay no price for largely ignoring the Lakers guards — there is no outside shooting the Spurs fear, no guy slashing into the paint messing up their plans.
You’re not going to beat the Spurs in the playoffs with your first option, you are going to need your second and third options. And right now the Lakers options are not pretty.
And for game three they are just ugly.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8