Apr 25, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
It looks like the Lakers will head into Game 3 against the Spurs Friday night without their top four guards.
Steve Blake is out indefinitely with a right hamstring injury suffered in the fourth quarter of the Lakers latest loss on Wednesday night, the team announced Thursday afternoon. The injury was checked out by ultrasound and found to be moderate but that is enough he is done for a while.
Both Steve Nash (hip and hamstring, for which he had his third epidural) and Jodie Meeks (sprained ankle, kept him out of Game 2) are listed as doubtful for Friday night. Mike D’Antoni said, “realistically Meeks is more doubtful than Nash,” but I wouldn’t bet on either playing.
And we all know that Kobe Bryant is sitting at home with a torn Achilles and not tweeting.
What that means is a lot of Darius Morris (covering Tony Parker), a lot of Andrew Goudelock, a lot of Chris Duhon. All that up against Manu Ginobili and the rest of the Spurs in a must-win game for the Lakers. Good luck with that.
The problem for the Lakers is there advantage is inside but in the NBA you can take away what a team does best in the playoffs — the Spurs have fronted the post, hand help nearby and generally crowded the paint and made life difficult for Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol. The Spurs have size with Tim Duncan and Tiago Splitter, but they are throwing the kitchen sink at the Lakers bigs. The Spurs can do that because they pay no price for largely ignoring the Lakers guards — there is no outside shooting the Spurs fear, no guy slashing into the paint messing up their plans.
You’re not going to beat the Spurs in the playoffs with your first option, you are going to need your second and third options. And right now the Lakers options are not pretty.
And for game three they are just ugly.
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 0
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2