Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
It’s all about the Benjamins.
Chris Andersen has been a big boost to the Miami Heat, providing energy and size off the bench that they need. He’s a veteran player that can defend the rim, give them a few points and, this is key, play within himself and not make mistakes.
The Heat want to keep him. But it’s always about money.
The Birdman was picked up mid-season on a minimum contract and is an unrestricted free agent this summer. Ideally he wants to stay with the Heat, reports Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida, via Sulia.
Mark Bryant, agent for Chris “Birdman” Andersen, said his client wants to re-sign with the Heat this summer.
“We’re certainly hopeful,’’ Bryant told FOX Sports Florida about Andersen re-signing with the Heat. “But he’s going to finish this task first (of trying to win a title with Miami). But, absolutely, he has embraced (being with the Heat).’’
But it comes down to money. As taxpayers the most the Heat likely will offer him is the taxpayer’s midlevel of about $3.2 million. Another team could come over the top and bid more than that. If it’s significantly more, he would have to consider it.
But that’s not likely. The outcome you should expect is that even if Andersen gets other offers they will be in the same financial ballpark and the Birdman will stick with where he is comfortable. A team where his role is defined and he can win rings. He stays with the Heat.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30