Apr 25, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Boston’s plan in Game 2 was to go to Kevin Garnett inside early and often, to run their offense through the veteran big man. But he picked up two fouls in the first five minutes and had to go to the bench.
After the game Celtics coach Doc Rivers said, ““I thought the fouls on Kevin were horrendous, and had a huge effect on us. He never got his rhythm when you could see he was going to have a game. It hurt us.”
The league doesn’t take kindly to referees being criticized and on Thursday fined Rivers $25,000 for his comment.
You can bet Rivers knew that fine was coming before he opened his mouth. It’s the first instance of many in these playoffs where a coach will try to influence future referees through the media.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11