Apr 25, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
When the Cavaliers fired Mike Brown three years ago, it was part of the too little, too late desperation moves to keep LeBron James happy. We all know how that went.
So three years later, when Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned around and re-hired Brown for his old job as coach of the Cavaliers, someone needed to admit the error of their ways.
“Yeah, it was a mistake,” Gilbert said Wednesday at Brown’s reintroductory news conference. “When you get the benefit of hindsight, it was a mistake. We’re very happy that we get to rectify any position we took back then by Mike being available right now.”
Now, about that letter Dan…
Is the Brown hiring thrilling? No. He’s a retread. But that doesn’t make it a bad hire — Brown is a defense first guy on a team that really needs defense and a lot of it. They need to force him to bring in an offensive-minded assistant, one who will use Kyrie Irving‘s skills properly, but Brown can get the respect of these players and get them to play well.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 8
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 19
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14