Apr 25, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
When the Cavaliers fired Mike Brown three years ago, it was part of the too little, too late desperation moves to keep LeBron James happy. We all know how that went.
So three years later, when Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned around and re-hired Brown for his old job as coach of the Cavaliers, someone needed to admit the error of their ways.
“Yeah, it was a mistake,” Gilbert said Wednesday at Brown’s reintroductory news conference. “When you get the benefit of hindsight, it was a mistake. We’re very happy that we get to rectify any position we took back then by Mike being available right now.”
Now, about that letter Dan…
Is the Brown hiring thrilling? No. He’s a retread. But that doesn’t make it a bad hire — Brown is a defense first guy on a team that really needs defense and a lot of it. They need to force him to bring in an offensive-minded assistant, one who will use Kyrie Irving‘s skills properly, but Brown can get the respect of these players and get them to play well.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 2
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 3
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 16
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18