Apr 25, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
When the Cavaliers fired Mike Brown three years ago, it was part of the too little, too late desperation moves to keep LeBron James happy. We all know how that went.
So three years later, when Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned around and re-hired Brown for his old job as coach of the Cavaliers, someone needed to admit the error of their ways.
“Yeah, it was a mistake,” Gilbert said Wednesday at Brown’s reintroductory news conference. “When you get the benefit of hindsight, it was a mistake. We’re very happy that we get to rectify any position we took back then by Mike being available right now.”
Now, about that letter Dan…
Is the Brown hiring thrilling? No. He’s a retread. But that doesn’t make it a bad hire — Brown is a defense first guy on a team that really needs defense and a lot of it. They need to force him to bring in an offensive-minded assistant, one who will use Kyrie Irving‘s skills properly, but Brown can get the respect of these players and get them to play well.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 29
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23