Apr 25, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
When the Cavaliers fired Mike Brown three years ago, it was part of the too little, too late desperation moves to keep LeBron James happy. We all know how that went.
So three years later, when Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned around and re-hired Brown for his old job as coach of the Cavaliers, someone needed to admit the error of their ways.
“Yeah, it was a mistake,” Gilbert said Wednesday at Brown’s reintroductory news conference. “When you get the benefit of hindsight, it was a mistake. We’re very happy that we get to rectify any position we took back then by Mike being available right now.”
Now, about that letter Dan…
Is the Brown hiring thrilling? No. He’s a retread. But that doesn’t make it a bad hire — Brown is a defense first guy on a team that really needs defense and a lot of it. They need to force him to bring in an offensive-minded assistant, one who will use Kyrie Irving‘s skills properly, but Brown can get the respect of these players and get them to play well.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29