Cavs owner Gilbert admits mistake in firing Mike Brown

Apr 25, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT

Dan Gilbert, Mike Brown AP

When the Cavaliers fired Mike Brown three years ago, it was part of the too little, too late desperation moves to keep LeBron James happy. We all know how that went.

So three years later, when Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned around and re-hired Brown for his old job as coach of the Cavaliers, someone needed to admit the error of their ways.

And Gilbert Did, reports the Akron Beacon Journal.

“Yeah, it was a mistake,” Gilbert said Wednesday at Brown’s reintroductory news conference. “When you get the benefit of hindsight, it was a mistake. We’re very happy that we get to rectify any position we took back then by Mike being available right now.”

Now, about that letter Dan…

Is the Brown hiring thrilling? No. He’s a retread. But that doesn’t make it a bad hire — Brown is a defense first guy on a team that really needs defense and a lot of it. They need to force him to bring in an offensive-minded assistant, one who will use Kyrie Irving‘s skills properly, but Brown can get the respect of these players and get them to play well.

1. raidergreg2000 - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

And this is why Cleveland will always be a loser. Whether its the Cavs, Indians, or Browns. Mistake by the lake will always haunt this city.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I disagree. Brown has been, by far, the best coach in team history. Gilbert screwed up royally by not understanding he was going to lose Lebron regardless of who the coach was. He should have kept Brown and not worried so much about the King.

• bougin89 - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I totally get what you are saying but let me throw this in there:

Brown was on the hot seat for being so uncreative(? if that is a word) offensively. Especially come playoff time when defense is at a higher level for all teams he couldn’t figure out how to put Lebron in better positions to succeed offensively other than running a high pick n roll with Varejao or Illgauskas. Every. Single. Possession. Lebron was so good he almost made it work all by himself but at the time a lot of people were calling for Brown to be fired. It’s easy to look back now at his very successful regular season records and say he was a great coach.

I think he is a good defensive coach but like a lot of the articles Kurt has posted recently, he needs a strong offensive assistant to be successful.

• blantoncollier - Apr 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Mike Brown did a fine job, if you only look at his record. However, I would suggest Bill Fitch or Lenny Wilkens were the two best coaches in the teams history. And neither of them had a talent like LBJ.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

All you can really go by is his Record and the fact that he got them to the finals and consistently had them deep in the Eastern playoffs. Yes, he had superior talent with James, but at the same time, he had to make it all work, and he’s got the wins and the post-season record that Fitch and Wilkens couldn’t touch in Cleveland.

Now, he’s got another top talent in Irving, and I think Brown will build on his record in Cleveland.

2. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Revisionist history is the best, isn’t it?

The world knows Gilbert fired Brown in a huff out of frustration because he pissed off LeBron and couldn’t retain him.

• bougin89 - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

At the time he got fired a lot of people were questioning if Brown was so limited offensively as a coach that he couldn’t get the Cavs “over the hump”. In the playoffs their only offensive “set” was a high pick n roll with Lebron and either Varajeo or Illgauskas. I can imagine that would have been extremely frustrating to watch if you were a Cavs fan. Just no creativity on offense.

After another disappointment in the playoffs it wasn’t exactly a surprise that Brown was fired at that time. Lebron being an UFA and clearly not liking Brown as a coach was more on the end of being the last straw than the only reason Brown was fired.

3. misterdreamer119 - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Please! Lebron was the coach on the cavs.

• thetooloftools - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM

This is exactly my point. Brown was not known for running an offense because LeBron did what LeBron wanted, scripted plays be damned. I LOVE Dan Gilbert. He is the story. “I made a mistake”? Really? When is the last time and owner of ANY team would humble himself in those terms? That is moxie. Class. Total class. I think LeBron wants to come back to Cleveland and I think this is Gilbert’s way of saying “on my terms”. LeBron has a sick crib. Players that have been there have privately stated “why would you ever leave this place”?
      My disgust with LeBron has faded.
      Dan Gilbert righted a wrong.
      I give him a lot more credit then many others are offering.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Gilbert’s firing Mike Brown may have been a mistake. But I can think of a bigger one.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Rehiring him without a hall of famer on the roster?

5. anhdazman - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It’s like trying to date an old girl friend again. It ain’t going work!

6. stayhigh_247 - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

what people are forgetting is though Brown won 60 games or so, and had great seasons, he did it with Lebron. The King has left the building! I am a Kyrie Irving fan all day but as good as he is, they wont be winning anything soon. Now we get to see just how good a coach Mike (spitty cup) Brown really is. I hope Kyrie and co can get it done, but Miami, Indy, Chicago and Ny aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Personally, I dont think I could work for a guy that fired me after having a great season.

7. 00maltliquor - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I wonder how long it’s gonna take until he fires him again. I’ll have the line set at 3.5. I’ll take the under.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches