Apr 24, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:51 p.m.: Clearly the 76ers are looking at some of the league’s top assistants to fill Doug Collins’ shoes.
So you can add Golden State’s Mike Malone to the list with Brian Shaw of Indiana, reports Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com.
Both are up and coming top assistants considered bright minds who make their head coaches better. They also both have been on the verge of getting a job before and just missed out. Frankly, either one would be a good hire.
8:45 am: Is this the summer Brian Shaw finally lands a head coaching job?
He’s been at the top of the assistant coaching ranks for a couple of years now, interviewed for a number of jobs and just not gotten a shot in the big chair. Now it looks like he could get a shot with an interesting rebuilding project in the City of Brotherly Love.
Via the twitter of CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger.
Brown has just landed a new job as the headman of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Again.
That leaves Shaw. He’s been at the right hand of Phil Jackson and Frank Vogel, he’s a guy the players on both the Lakers and Pacers respect and like. He relates to players and has good basketball knowledge. He’s not just a triangle guy, he’s a good basketball coach.
It’s early in the process, Shaw is still engaged with the Indiana Pacers, where he is the lead assistant on a team making a run in the playoffs that likely goes on for a few more weeks (to the second round, at least). The Sixers will certainly consider other names as well.
Shaw would likely be a good fit in Philly, although the question remains what kind of team are they building in Philly? Or are they just going to tread water with the roster this summer, moving on from the expectations of Andrew Bynum and looking for the next mega-deal where they can land a superstar player? It’s that or rebuild completely, and I’m not sure that would sit well with the fan base right now.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10