Apr 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EST
For a whole lot of Lakers fans (and some in the media) Mike D’Antoni has been the scapegoat for this Lakers season.
Jerry West doesn’t get that.
The current part owner of the Warriors went on Los Angeles radio — Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley on ESPN LA 710 radio — and said D’Antoni hasn’t been treated fairly (as transcribed by Eric Pincus at the L.A. Times).
“I think there’s been far too much criticism of Mike [D'Antoni],” West said… “I think it’s grossly unfair to him. He inherited a team that had a bunch of injuries,” West said. “He inherited a team without a training camp. I think he’s done a nice job, to be honest with you.”
But what about the Lakers plan for Game 1, they should have thrown the ball inside more, right? Even Kobe was pounding that point on twitter.
“All these social media things about throw the ball inside — you have to be able make shots from the outside if you’re going to be able to make shots from the inside,” West said.
As usual, Jerry West is spot on here.
Mike D’Antoni started out behind the 8-Ball in Los Angeles because he’s not Phil Jackson, and that’s who most fans wanted (and whose style fit better with the current roster). But if that’s you’re beef, then take it up with Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak. They called D’Antoni (he just had his knee replaced, he wasn’t job hunting) and he accepted.
And he has greatly modified his style this season, by necessity but he has done it. The Lakers run “horns” sets, throw the ball into the post off the wing, they don’t do a lot of classic D’Antoni things.
But the Spurs took the easy stuff away in Game 1, fronting the post and making it hard on the Lakers. Welcome to the playoffs against a good team — you can’t beat them with your first option. It’s option two, three, four that have to step up. West is right, unless the Lakers knock down outside shots they will not be able to get space inside to operate.
We’ll see if the Lakers other options can step up.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (42)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)