Apr 24, 2013, 6:58 PM EST
For a whole lot of Lakers fans (and some in the media) Mike D’Antoni has been the scapegoat for this Lakers season.
Jerry West doesn’t get that.
The current part owner of the Warriors went on Los Angeles radio — Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley on ESPN LA 710 radio — and said D’Antoni hasn’t been treated fairly (as transcribed by Eric Pincus at the L.A. Times).
“I think there’s been far too much criticism of Mike [D'Antoni],” West said… “I think it’s grossly unfair to him. He inherited a team that had a bunch of injuries,” West said. “He inherited a team without a training camp. I think he’s done a nice job, to be honest with you.”
But what about the Lakers plan for Game 1, they should have thrown the ball inside more, right? Even Kobe was pounding that point on twitter.
“All these social media things about throw the ball inside — you have to be able make shots from the outside if you’re going to be able to make shots from the inside,” West said.
As usual, Jerry West is spot on here.
Mike D’Antoni started out behind the 8-Ball in Los Angeles because he’s not Phil Jackson, and that’s who most fans wanted (and whose style fit better with the current roster). But if that’s you’re beef, then take it up with Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak. They called D’Antoni (he just had his knee replaced, he wasn’t job hunting) and he accepted.
And he has greatly modified his style this season, by necessity but he has done it. The Lakers run “horns” sets, throw the ball into the post off the wing, they don’t do a lot of classic D’Antoni things.
But the Spurs took the easy stuff away in Game 1, fronting the post and making it hard on the Lakers. Welcome to the playoffs against a good team — you can’t beat them with your first option. It’s option two, three, four that have to step up. West is right, unless the Lakers knock down outside shots they will not be able to get space inside to operate.
We’ll see if the Lakers other options can step up.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 14
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8