Apr 24, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
This series is better than you think it is.
Which judging by the Internet buzz isn’t saying much. You all think this is vanilla ice cream in a cup. And not the good stuff, you think this is ice milk.
This series is more entertaining than that. The Pacers with Paul George and David West are more than just defense — oh, make no mistake, the Pacers want some 1990s throwback physicality if they can get away with it. But they can play, too. The Hawks have the talent to match that in Josh Smith (who will play on his tweaked ankle), Al Horford and occasionally Jeff Teague.
The Hawks got their way in Game 1 — it was physical, they punched the Hawks on the nose and the Hawks retreated.
The Atlanta Hawks can win Game 2 of this series. They can make this a series. But they are going to have to do three things.
1) Match the Pacers physical play. Atlanta needs to show the toughness it should have on this roster — Ivan Johnson, DeShawn Stevenson — and stand toe-to-toe with the Pacers. Because you know Game 2 is going to feel a lot like Game 1 and Hawks coach Larry Drew admitted his team got manhandled in Game 1.
2) Stop shooting themselves in the foot. Play your best players. If Al Horford picks up a couple quick fouls again KEEP PLAYING HIM. I’m talking to you, Larry Drew. As was well explained at Peachtree Hoops, you yanked him after in the first half with two fouls in Game 1 and never got back into the flow. Horford is not a foul sponge, the guy is not going to keep fouling, and he’s your best player. So play him.
3) Get out and run on the fast break. Every team in the NBA — Miami, OKC, everyone — is going to struggle to score on the Pacers if you let them come down, put Roy Hibbert in the middle and set their defense. Teague can be good in the open court, Smith knows how to run, as do a lot of the Hawks. Get your looks before the defense sets.
For the Pacers, just do more of the same. More Paul George — he had a triple-double and led you to 109 points in Game 1. You know if the Pacers reach triple digits the Hawks are in trouble. Most of all, be physical until the Hawks show they can handle it. Then be more physical.
Do that, and this game will not be boring.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:00 AM EDT
Nothing is final until the ink dries on the contract, but Jackson to the Knicks as team president seems done. It will end poorly but should be an interesting ride.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
To be fair Omer Asik was wide open, he just was on the bench at the time when Dwight Howard hit him with a pass.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Kevin Durant led the Thunder to victory with his 42 points, but not before there were plenty of fireworks between the two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant’s recovery has been slower than expected, and the Lakers are reportedly ready to officially shut him down for the season.
Patrick Beverley goes at Russell Westbrook just as he did on the play that caused injury in 2013 playoffs (VIDEO)
Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley gives Russell Westbrook a not-so-subtle reminder of the play that caused Westbrook’s season-ending knee injury in the 2013 playoffs.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
George Karl says that Carmelo Anthony, whom he coached in Denver, isn’t a Phil Jackson type of player. Which means?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
You knew this was coming right after the incident Monday night — the Suns Tucker got a game for a forearm to Griffin’s head. As he should have.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
It’s been clear for a while that Kobe Bryant was done for the season. The Lakers would not say that publicly for the same reason the Bulls would not say Derrick Rose would not come back last playoffs when we all knew he wouldn’t. They don’t want to anger their star player, and if fans…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
If Andrea Bargnani is out the rest of the season, Knicks fans will be good with that.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Why to the Boston Celtics need a St. Patrick’s Day uniform? Good question. But they have one now, with sleeves.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
The last time LeBron went back-to-back games without a trip to the free throw line he was a rookie.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
To be fair to the ball boy, nobody expects Tyler Hansbrough to make a steal on the perimeter then race out on the fast break by himself.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Don’t use cotton swabs, kids.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
With backup center Ian Mahinmi out for the night, the Andrew Bynum era in Indiana will begin Tuesday against Boston.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Conflicts with yesterday’s prominent report
Mar 11, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
All the way to playoffs?
Mar 11, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Also compares his phone to bell bottoms, which might be pretty ironic, but I’m not a fasion expert.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Yannick Noah would rather do more of the Dikembe Mutombo finger wag
Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
This seems like more than a coincidence.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to oversee basketball operations 0
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 13
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14