Apr 24, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
This series is better than you think it is.
Which judging by the Internet buzz isn’t saying much. You all think this is vanilla ice cream in a cup. And not the good stuff, you think this is ice milk.
This series is more entertaining than that. The Pacers with Paul George and David West are more than just defense — oh, make no mistake, the Pacers want some 1990s throwback physicality if they can get away with it. But they can play, too. The Hawks have the talent to match that in Josh Smith (who will play on his tweaked ankle), Al Horford and occasionally Jeff Teague.
The Hawks got their way in Game 1 — it was physical, they punched the Hawks on the nose and the Hawks retreated.
The Atlanta Hawks can win Game 2 of this series. They can make this a series. But they are going to have to do three things.
1) Match the Pacers physical play. Atlanta needs to show the toughness it should have on this roster — Ivan Johnson, DeShawn Stevenson — and stand toe-to-toe with the Pacers. Because you know Game 2 is going to feel a lot like Game 1 and Hawks coach Larry Drew admitted his team got manhandled in Game 1.
2) Stop shooting themselves in the foot. Play your best players. If Al Horford picks up a couple quick fouls again KEEP PLAYING HIM. I’m talking to you, Larry Drew. As was well explained at Peachtree Hoops, you yanked him after in the first half with two fouls in Game 1 and never got back into the flow. Horford is not a foul sponge, the guy is not going to keep fouling, and he’s your best player. So play him.
3) Get out and run on the fast break. Every team in the NBA — Miami, OKC, everyone — is going to struggle to score on the Pacers if you let them come down, put Roy Hibbert in the middle and set their defense. Teague can be good in the open court, Smith knows how to run, as do a lot of the Hawks. Get your looks before the defense sets.
For the Pacers, just do more of the same. More Paul George — he had a triple-double and led you to 109 points in Game 1. You know if the Pacers reach triple digits the Hawks are in trouble. Most of all, be physical until the Hawks show they can handle it. Then be more physical.
Do that, and this game will not be boring.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
We have some Riley Curry news. You know you want to click now.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Charlie Westbrook reportedly signs with Bucks
Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The Clippers add more depth. It’s been a good offseason for Doc Rivers.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
He is a very good pick-and-roll guard with great court vision.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
You don’t even need to pump up his sneakers
Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Cleveland can watch Pointer develop without having to pay him
Aug 31, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Mike Clarkson says son committed to Lakers
Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT
Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season
Aug 31, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Could Lakers wing play in the 2016 Olympics?
Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer
Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat
Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come
Aug 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Utah now has 20 players
Aug 31, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This would have been fun to attend.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a long shot to make a roster.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
There is no signed deal yet.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Shaq said Phil Jackson was fair with them.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”
Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
He will be missed.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4