Apr 24, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
This series is better than you think it is.
Which judging by the Internet buzz isn’t saying much. You all think this is vanilla ice cream in a cup. And not the good stuff, you think this is ice milk.
This series is more entertaining than that. The Pacers with Paul George and David West are more than just defense — oh, make no mistake, the Pacers want some 1990s throwback physicality if they can get away with it. But they can play, too. The Hawks have the talent to match that in Josh Smith (who will play on his tweaked ankle), Al Horford and occasionally Jeff Teague.
The Hawks got their way in Game 1 — it was physical, they punched the Hawks on the nose and the Hawks retreated.
The Atlanta Hawks can win Game 2 of this series. They can make this a series. But they are going to have to do three things.
1) Match the Pacers physical play. Atlanta needs to show the toughness it should have on this roster — Ivan Johnson, DeShawn Stevenson — and stand toe-to-toe with the Pacers. Because you know Game 2 is going to feel a lot like Game 1 and Hawks coach Larry Drew admitted his team got manhandled in Game 1.
2) Stop shooting themselves in the foot. Play your best players. If Al Horford picks up a couple quick fouls again KEEP PLAYING HIM. I’m talking to you, Larry Drew. As was well explained at Peachtree Hoops, you yanked him after in the first half with two fouls in Game 1 and never got back into the flow. Horford is not a foul sponge, the guy is not going to keep fouling, and he’s your best player. So play him.
3) Get out and run on the fast break. Every team in the NBA — Miami, OKC, everyone — is going to struggle to score on the Pacers if you let them come down, put Roy Hibbert in the middle and set their defense. Teague can be good in the open court, Smith knows how to run, as do a lot of the Hawks. Get your looks before the defense sets.
For the Pacers, just do more of the same. More Paul George — he had a triple-double and led you to 109 points in Game 1. You know if the Pacers reach triple digits the Hawks are in trouble. Most of all, be physical until the Hawks show they can handle it. Then be more physical.
Do that, and this game will not be boring.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Houston’s other second rounder, Alessandro Gentile, to remain in Europe
Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
If you really want something and you can afford it, why not? But Ballmer overpaid big for the Clips.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Does this mean Boston will trade Rajon Rondo?
Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Sacramento reportedly plans to file waiver claim on Casspi
Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.
Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Good pickup to add some depth at the point, something Dallas needed unless you’re expecting a monster bounce-back season for Raymond Felton.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Is it better than the offer being put together by the Cavaliers?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
He was given community services, which he can complete in Dallas where he was traded.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Waiters will continue to be rumored to be available until he proves he can fit in with Kyrie Irving.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas was counting on him for bench depth and now will be looking to replace that help in a depleted market.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Minnesota wants to dump some bad contracts as part of the deal, and Cleveland isn’t taking them.
LeBron James sent cupcakes to Akron neighbors to apologize for commotion caused by his free agent decision
Jul 23, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
People descended upon LeBron’s neighborhood as rumors swirled.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Stackhouse coached against Hollins at adidas Eurocamp in Italy this summer.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
LeBron has used more than just physical gifts to become all-time great NBA player
Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook
Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 4
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60