Despite earlier statement, Louisville’s Russ Smith to skip NBA draft

Apr 24, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT

Michigan v Louisville Getty Images

Young men have the right to change their mind.

Louisville guard Russ Smith has. Not long after the NCAA Tournament said he was going to pull a George Costanza and leave on a high note, walking away after the Cardinals won the NCAA title and entering the NBA draft.

But now he’s changed his mind, Smith is returning to college for another season, reports our sister blog CollegeBasketballTalk.

“If I would have left, I think I would have been shooting myself in the foot,” he said at a press conference on Wednesday afternoon. “I don’t think I was mature enough.”

“As much smoke as you thought I was blowing to people, I really didn’t know. I was really unsure until I woke up this morning.”

I think this is a smart move. Smith was a likely second round pick who would have had a battle just to make a roster. Guys in that spot should stay in college (unless circumstances force them out). This isn’t the head scratcher around the league that Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State staying in was — he was a lock top 10 pick, those kind of guys have the green light to come out.

Smith will get his NBA shot in a year. And likely even in 2014 will be a second round pick. That said, he is the kind of quick, scrappy player I think can make a nice career in the NBA. He’s just going to have to adjust his game — 6’0” shooting guards don’t exist in the NBA. He’ll have to become a defense-minded, score-first point guard. He needs to develop a steady three point shot because without that teams will play off him and dare him to shoot. But scrappy players who can defend and are quick will catch a coach’s eye. He will get his shot.

Just next year.

Latest Posts
  1. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

2. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

3. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

4. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

5. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Getty Images

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

6. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

7. Russian guard Dmitry Kulagin, with Kings interest, considering jumping to NBA

Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 3 Getty Images

Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent

8. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

9. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

10. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

11. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

12. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

13. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches