Shane Battier gets truck load of free Bud Light

Apr 23, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT

What is the best kind of beer?

Free beer.

And Shane Battier just got a truckload of it. Literally.

Back during the Heat’s 27-game winning streak Steve Aschburner of NBA.com wrote about the superstitions of the Heat players, because if “Bull Durham” taught us one thing it’s that you don’t mess with a streak. Shane Battier was asked about his superstitions during the streak:

“Nope,” Battier said. “Well, I try to drink the same beer – Bud Light – but that’s about it. You never know. I don’t want to chance luck and switch up brands, so I’m staying loyal to Bud Light.”

So the marketing people at Bud Light saw that and delivered 18 pallets of beer — about 1,100 cases — to his house. Which means I need to get invited to Shane Battier’s house because, even that’s not my beer of choice, it would be the best kind of beer. Free.

(Thanks to the amazing Lang Whitaker at NBA.com’s All Ball blog for finding that.)

1. Legacy112 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Party at shanes house!!!!

Here we go!!!

• 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

That’s at least ONE party pooper at every big party!^

Whoever thumbed that down must be the fat chick/D.D. that never gets talked to/laid while her hot friends have all the fun!

• albertmn - Apr 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Because it’s not possible that some people don’t drink? Or, don’t like big parties if they do drink? I guess anyone that doesn’t get bombed every weekend (or every night) is beneath you. Sorry, but some of us left that behind as we got older (and actually matured).

Great to Shane if he got the beer, but I don’t know what he could possibly do with all of it. He doesn’t strike me as a guy with THAT large of a posse.

• wsuperman4445 - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Shane Budibeer!!

2. 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You’ve got to imagine Miami Heat management had to frown upon learning of this….

3. reesesteel23 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

LUCKY!!! Even though I dont really like that water….

4. 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

HEY BUDWIESER: 00maltliquor stays VERY loyal to Bud Ice and Bud Light Platinum!! I really do!

**wink wink, hint hint** (heck, I’ll be happy with just a mini-van full!)

• money2long - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

it’s only right that you comment on this post

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

lmao

• kingbeason52 - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Isnt Bud Light Platinum a girl beer? Sounds like one either way..

• 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Go out and purchase/pound a 12 pack and come back and tell me if your buzz is girly. Real talk. It’s a legitimate beer. 6% alc. That’s venturing into malt liquor territory!

• jimeejohnson - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I would have thought you like malt liquor.

• 00maltliquor - Apr 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I don’t like malt liquor. I LOVE malt liquor. But since Budwieser is in the buisness of giving away truckloads of beer……..

5. beagle11 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I guess thats cool… If you consider Bud Light to be beer

6. phreakin - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Waiting on beer snob comments. It’s not beer it’s water! I don’t drink anything that I can’t drink with a fork!

7. dls612 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM

They just wanted him to be prepared for the 2013 NBA title celebration! Even they know the outcome!

8. bucrightoff - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Light beer is for pansies.

• bougin89 - Apr 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

So you were THAT guy in college that brought his own beer while everyone else was drinking from the keg. Tell me you weren’t THAT guy…

• bucrightoff - Apr 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Nah, I was the guy drinking Jameson right out of the bottle, just like everyone’s idol McNulty.

9. drex1 - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

they should offer this as prize to fans, you know, the people that couldnt actually go out and buy this amount with a fraction of their paycheck. why is it when people can afford whatever they want most stuff becomes free.. fair play to shane b tho, he’s playing the game

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

A writer in Time (backpage guy) said, ‘No one gets more for free than the rich’.

I completely agree, buy a section of a Heat game and call it the Bud Light section, give tickets to a bunch of Veterans and give them Shane Battier fatheads or whatever.

• drex1 - Apr 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

lol, thats actually a good idea

10. Rich Peters - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Reblogged this on Higher Ground.

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM

You are going out of your way to reblog every article from this site today.

11. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

The worst beer imaginable. I thought Shane was cut from a different cloth than that, MERCY. I would rather go thirsty than drink that weak seltzer water.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Seltzer?

• badintent - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:55 AM

wright thought he was in a Kosher Deli, They always bring seltzer water to the table and a big bowl of sour pickles. No dairy products so you can’t a get bagel with a smear.Bummer

12. miamatt - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

It’s funny how the guys who could afford to buy a truckload of beer are the guys who get it for free.

13. florida727 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM

When you involuntarily pimp Bud Light in an interview, it gets played on cable TV. When it gets played on cable TV, the people at Budweiser send you a truck load of beer. When the people at Budweiser send you a truck load of beer, you drink a lot of beer. When you drink a lot of beer, you get drunk. When you get drunk, you risk getting a DUI. Don’t risk getting a DUI. Get rid of cable and switch to Direct TV.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM

No dice without posting a picture of the genie

• tmhofficial - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Both of these comments were elite, and made me laugh in my office.

Well done guys.

• badintent - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM

super funny ! nice logic. You sound 10X smarter than Odrama

14. ajonesmc931 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM

This just in shane has developed a drinking problem.. Ha

15. loungefly74 - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

free beer is good beer. absolutely.

though im a scotch-guy…and micro-brews…and Guinness!

16. woodyqq2 - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Let’s see Hmmmmm 1100 * 24 = 26400 beers, out of date in 90 days. Hmmm
    thats 293.3 beers a day (12+cases/day).. Wow there will be some drunks around his house for the next 3 months. He will have lots of time to party after the playoffs

17. latrobe21 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Budweiser is one of the worst beers in the world. Budweiser couldn’t PAY ME to drink it, let alone give it to me for free.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches