Apr 23, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
After Nate McMillan was fired from the Portland Trail Blazers, he was still getting paid for a few years. He hasn’t jumped back into the coaching game because he hasn’t needed to, so he worked with Team USA this summer at the London Olympics and has enjoyed a little time off with family.
But the time may be coming that he gets back in.
The Pistons want to hire a proven head coach and are targeting McMillan, 48, who last coached the Blazers from 2005-06 until he was fired in the middle of the 2011-12 season.
McMillan and his agent said they have not been contacted, but that’s pretty standard at this point. There are ways to have more casual back-door conversations to gauge interest before making a formal call.
McMillan would replace Lawrence Frank, who was let go after two season in Detroit with 25 and 29 wins, respectively. His old-school ways didn’t seem to mesh with the players. McMillan was a former NBA player and that does draw some respect from players.
McMillan is one of the better coaches out on the market and would seem a good fit for a young Pistons team with some nice young pieces such as Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight. McMillan’s teams play a very slow, controlled kind of style — this isn’t going to be ShowTime. But his teams both in Seattle and Portland won, too.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47