Apr 23, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
After Nate McMillan was fired from the Portland Trail Blazers, he was still getting paid for a few years. He hasn’t jumped back into the coaching game because he hasn’t needed to, so he worked with Team USA this summer at the London Olympics and has enjoyed a little time off with family.
But the time may be coming that he gets back in.
The Pistons want to hire a proven head coach and are targeting McMillan, 48, who last coached the Blazers from 2005-06 until he was fired in the middle of the 2011-12 season.
McMillan and his agent said they have not been contacted, but that’s pretty standard at this point. There are ways to have more casual back-door conversations to gauge interest before making a formal call.
McMillan would replace Lawrence Frank, who was let go after two season in Detroit with 25 and 29 wins, respectively. His old-school ways didn’t seem to mesh with the players. McMillan was a former NBA player and that does draw some respect from players.
McMillan is one of the better coaches out on the market and would seem a good fit for a young Pistons team with some nice young pieces such as Andre Drummond, Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight. McMillan’s teams play a very slow, controlled kind of style — this isn’t going to be ShowTime. But his teams both in Seattle and Portland won, too.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 0
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10