Kevin Durant: “I’m tired of being second… I’m done with it”

Apr 23, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game One Getty Images

Kevin Durant is the second best basketball player walking planet earth right now. He leads the second best team in the NBA. He was second in the MVP voting last year and almost certainly will be again. He was the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft (behind Greg Oden and his unfortunate knees).

Durant is tired of it. He is fired up.

Durant is on the cover of the new Sports Illustrated that hits newsstands this week, and he is featured in a profile by SI’s fantastic senior writer Lee Jenkins. In that Durant is open about not liking that No. 2 label (quotes via The Oklahoman).

“I’ve been second my whole life. I was the second best player in high school. I was the second pick in the draft. I’ve been second in the MVP voting three times. I came in second in the finals. I’m tired of being second. I’m not going to settle for that. I’m done with it….

“I’m not taking it easy on [LeBron]. Don’t you know I’m trying to destroy the guy every time I go on the court?”

I love that his has this fire in him. It is that drive that will some day get him all the things he wants.

But sorry Kevin, but you’re going to have to live life as No. 2 a little longer.

There will come a day when the Oklahoma City Thunder will win an NBA crown (if they keep this core together). There very likely will be an MVP or two in Durant’s future. There may well come a day when we acknowledge Durant as the best player in the world (right now I would say he’s the best scorer in the world, just ahead of ‘Melo, but he doesn’t have LeBron’s all around game).

But that year is not this year.

Barring something radical happening, it’s hard to see how the Heat team that beat the Thunder in five games last finals, that beat them twice in the regular season, that is better than they were a year ago is going to lose to the Thunder.

Just know that Durant is not going to stop trying to make it so. He wants what LeBron and Miami have.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Magic plan to give GM Rob Hennigan a contract extension

Mar 30, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn Orlando Magic fire head coach Jacque Vaughn

Hennigan has done a solid job with the rebuild in his first three seasons.

2. DeAndre Jordan with a ridiculous alley-oop finish, even for him (VIDEO)

Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner DeAndre Jordan, Evan Turner

The Clippers beat the Celtics and had the best highlight of the game.

3. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

4. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

5. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

6. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

7. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

8. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches