Apr 22, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Even 1,300 miles away lying in bed, Kobe Bryant was still the story for the Lakers Sunday.
Kobe watched the game just like you did… well, his house is bigger than yours and he had more painkillers in his system than you did (probably). But he watched it on television (recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon) and tweeted about the game, just like I and you and a lot of others did.
Except Kobe’s tweets became the story. Because he’s Kobe.
During the game and during the halftime analysis they showed his tweets. Mike D’Antoni was asked about it after the game even (and said that right now Kobe is “a fan.”)
Kobe’s tweets sounded like the rantings of a lot of frustrated Lakers fans — he wanted the Lakers to pound the Spurs inside.
For Lakers’ fans (and Magic Johnson) who have never taken to D’Antoni — because he’s not who they wanted in Phil Jackson, an issue they should take up with management and not D’Antoni — this was a chance to pile on the coach more.
Thing is, it’s really hard for the Lakers to do what Kobe talks about without Kobe on the court.
These are the San Antonio Spurs we’re talking about, not some pushovers. They are going to take away what you want to do first — they made entry passes to Dwight Howard or Pau Gasol in the post difficult, they didn’t let the Lakers just set up what they want to do. If you’re going to beat the Spurs you have to do it with your second and third options (and as the playoff series moves on those will be more difficult as well).
Kobe was frustrated watching the game (like a lot of Lakers fans).
Kobe was late to the twitter game, just signing up for his account earlier this year, but because of who he is (and because it’s clearly him tweeting and not his PR person) he gained a huge following. Including among the media. He had no idea his 140 character breakdowns would become stories in and among themselves.
But Kobe learns from his mistakes.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 57
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31