Apr 22, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
The Knicks have the NBA’s scoring champion at forward in Carmelo Anthony. Now they have the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year, too.
His strong end of the season — Smith averaged better than 23 points a game over his last 15 games — pushed him past the Clippers Jamal Crawford, who came in second. The Warriors Jarrett Jack finished third in the voting.
This is a fair result (sorry Clippers fans). There was a time this was dubious award, but in the last decade plus a lot of coaches have gone to playing what should be a starter coming off the bench (Manu Ginobili is maybe the most famous example). You want that guy off the bench to be somebody that can light up the scoreboard and change the game.
Smith finished 72 first-place votes out of the 121 votes cast by sportswriter and members of the media, and he finished with 484 points. Crawford had 31 first place votes and 352 points. The other first place votes went to Jack (14), Kevin Martin (2), Ryan Anderson (1) and Jordan Crawford (1).
Wait, what, Jordan Crawford? That’s a questionable third place vote. While no media member has yet claimed the Jordan vote, smart money says that was a Jamal Crawford vote and someone put in the wrong name.
As always, the fun part of this is seeing who some media members gave their third place vote to.
Babbitt? Who scored 3.9 points per game on 36.8 percent shooting? How exactly do you justify that vote?
I could go on but what’s the point. The right guy won.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 31
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 52
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 17
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31