Apr 22, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
Pretty much every NBA player about to be a free agent talks in vague terms about keeping their options open. They are going to go where the most money comes from and they don’t want to limit those choices.
But have you ever heard a player on one side of a playoff series say he could jump to the team down the hall this summer?
That seems to cross the competitive line we like to draw for the playoffs, but that’s exactly what Bucks big man Samuel Dalembert did, speaking to Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida. He said he might jump to the Miami Heat this summer.
“The Heat will be definitely an option,’’ Dalembert told FOX Sports Florida before his Bucks lost to the Heat 110-87 in Game 1 of an Eastern Conference first-round series Sunday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. “It’s up to them and seeing what’s going to be out there. But at this point you want to be with a contending team. You don’t want to go backwards, so you want to chase that promised land.’’
One key question is will the Heat even want him? Dalembert, a defensive minded big man, lost his starting job in Milwaukee to Larry Sanders early in the season and by the end rarely got off the Milwaukee bench. Dalembert didn’t get in the game Sunday (a Heat win).
The Heat already have Chris Andersen off the bench to fill that role (they need to re-sign Andersen this summer). He provides what Dalembert is supposed to provide. Of course, it’s always a matter of price (the Heat will have little money to offer).
It still seems an especially odd time to talk about talk about this and not just say “I’ll deal with that after the playoffs.”
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30