Apr 22, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
Pretty much every NBA player about to be a free agent talks in vague terms about keeping their options open. They are going to go where the most money comes from and they don’t want to limit those choices.
But have you ever heard a player on one side of a playoff series say he could jump to the team down the hall this summer?
That seems to cross the competitive line we like to draw for the playoffs, but that’s exactly what Bucks big man Samuel Dalembert did, speaking to Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida. He said he might jump to the Miami Heat this summer.
“The Heat will be definitely an option,’’ Dalembert told FOX Sports Florida before his Bucks lost to the Heat 110-87 in Game 1 of an Eastern Conference first-round series Sunday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. “It’s up to them and seeing what’s going to be out there. But at this point you want to be with a contending team. You don’t want to go backwards, so you want to chase that promised land.’’
One key question is will the Heat even want him? Dalembert, a defensive minded big man, lost his starting job in Milwaukee to Larry Sanders early in the season and by the end rarely got off the Milwaukee bench. Dalembert didn’t get in the game Sunday (a Heat win).
The Heat already have Chris Andersen off the bench to fill that role (they need to re-sign Andersen this summer). He provides what Dalembert is supposed to provide. Of course, it’s always a matter of price (the Heat will have little money to offer).
It still seems an especially odd time to talk about talk about this and not just say “I’ll deal with that after the playoffs.”
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27