Allen Iverson’s friends are worried about him

Apr 22, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT

Allen Iverson AP

There are still a lot of Allen Iverson fans out there, he remains an icon. There also are still a lot of people in the game who care about him.

And they are worried about him.

For the people who tweet me every time I write on Iverson and ask “why isn’t he back in the NBA?” I suggest they go read the great story in the Washington Post from last Friday. Iverson doesn’t sound like somebody in a good place right now and people around him are concerned.

For the past three years, as Iverson chased an NBA comeback, his marriage fell apart and much of his fortune – he earned more than $150 million in salary alone during his career – dissolved. Now, those who once ignored past signals have recognized that basketball may have been the only thing holding Iverson’s life together.

“He has hit rock bottom, and he just hasn’t accepted it yet,” says former Philadelphia teammate Roshown McLeod….

“I worry about him,” (former coach Larry) Brown said. “A lot….

“I just don’t like to see it end this way,” Brown said.

Like I said, go read the whole story.

Iverson has no NBA comeback left in him. He’s not fully broke — there was a trust set up with Reebok money that still exists for him — but he apparently continues to live like the NBA money is still rolling in.

There is still plenty of time for an Iverson life comeback. I hope we get to see that.

1. pmx8411 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Imagine if Iverson was on his prime in today’s NBA

• fanofevilempire - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I was a huge AI fan, I remember when he put the cross over on MJ and almost
      broke his MJ’s knees. I hope it all works out for AI. he has a badass game.

• mwilson6 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM

AI is an absolute moron. Have you ever heard him speak? He can barely put two sentences together. He makes the NBA look like a bunch of high school drop outs, and that is saying something.

Idiot.

2. unxpexted1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

i read this article over the weekend. Truly sad

3. goraidersgospurs - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

WoW I just read the story, I just cant belive AI is that bad of a father!!!

• mydoghasfleez - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM

He’s always been a loser.

4. yuwannano - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Pfft! Dude made over 150 million in his career doing something he loved. Money that the majority of the WORLD will NEVER see. I’m having a very hard time feeling sorry for him

• jmfrank5664 - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Isn’t this the same guy who chased another man (cousin) with a loaded handgun? Isn’t this the same guy who was all me, me, me? (Practice?). When you live a “lifestyle” and refuse to grow up you get what you get. Sad? Not really.

• ras1tafari - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

AMEN BROTHER. I am sick of Rich-Men’s problems.

5. mogogo1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

You can explain away blowing all the money because of sheer ignorance, too many hangers-on, etc. But skipping one of his kids being born and being too drunk to drive his wife to the hospital when she was in labor with another child? Pretty hard to cut him slack on that.

6. dls612 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Fortune and fame comes with a heavy price if u don’t humble yourself and know how to handle it u end up like him among others broke. From rags to riches back to rags what a shame.

7. kb2408 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM

If you live in a glass house, you shouldn’t throw stones. We all have our issues. The only difference is his is seen by the whole world.

• mydoghasfleez - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM

No – most peoples issues are not in the same league with this bozo’s antics over the years.

8. unxpexted1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I grew up in Hampton and my brother played ball at Bethel with him. If people understood his backstory it was almost in the cards for this to happen without any guidance which he never got or looked for. That area of VA loved him so much, he was the one of the first real superstars out of that area and he was beloved and enabled.

Its crazy how you make your parents mistakes. There is a part in the story where it talks about how he left his kids all day in the hotel. It was widely reported in VA that when Iverson was growing up, at 8,9,10 his moms would leave him in the house by himself all nigh to go party, drugs, and do whatever she would do. Pops was in jail and an alchy. Not saying what he’s done is excusable, but unfortunately it was almost forseeable.

• realfootballfan - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Yea, I always say children become their immediate role models, even when they don’t notice nine times out of ten. It’s what I tell young troubled kids from this kind of background when I speak with them, don’t let your parents mistakes ruin your own life because you’re reliving what happened when you’re young. At that point, it’s going to be on you to overcome it.

9. philadelphiafan - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Rumor has it that when he was staying in hotels for away games he would just leave his clothes and valuables in his room when checking out and just buy new things every city he went. I don’t think Iverson’s a bad dude. I just don’t think constantly having a posse of 20+ people around was a good influence on him. Iverson may or may not still be able to play in the association but he’s gotta realize that right now he doesn’t. Sounds like a mid-life crisis to me.

10. 4thquartermagic - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

When AI came to Denver, his best days were behind him but every couple of games you’d see flashes of his greatness.

His game was so smooth and fluid. When he’d cross someone over, then step back and hit a pretty jumper, you felt like you were watching something special.

Would have loved to see hime live in his prime. Best of luck to you AI in the future. Hope you an win the battle over your demons.

11. eugenesaxe - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I’m sorry, I can’t feel bad for anyone displaying that level of stupidity and selfishness.

12. bifford - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Poor Allen. Somebody, please, save him from his stupidity!

What a joke. He’s just another washed up cliche.

13. mstiger1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

He just needs someone who really cares to spend time and mentor him about how to be a man when he hits bottom. Sounds like he is getting close.

14. badintent - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Having game and having a brain are two seperate issues. No parents to mentor him is another issue. Having more $$$ than most guys on Wall Street is another issue.Surronding himself with gofers, parasites, another issue.
    AI = issues=Dr Phil
    I rest my case, class dismissed

15. pistolpete0903 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Am I supposed to feel bad?
    No, I don’t

16. realfootballfan - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

They’re probably worried about him because now he’s too broke to support them. Absolute shame that anyone would let themselves blow through as much money as he made in the NBA.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches